Left hand beginner dilemma!

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by a123, Aug 21, 2019.

1. Keep it as it is.

100.0%
  2. Reverse the strings.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. a123

a123

Aug 21, 2019
    Here's a bit of backstory so that you can understand my issue better;
    I am left handed, however I started learning by myself on a borrowed right handed bass guitar that I just flipped over, without reversing the string order because the E string was too short for me to restring it.Keep in mind that I practiced for 2-3 months like this.
    After that I figured out that I liked playing it and wanted to keep improving so I decided to buy a new left hand bass. I recently ordered the 'Fender Standard Jazz Bass'.

And here's where my dilemma starts:
    I'm not sure If i should reverse the strings on this new bass, or just re-learn it with the correct string order.Also, If I decide to reverse the strings I will most likely need to modify the nut (I'd have someone that knows what they're doing do that for me, but I still feel like I'd be ruining an expensive instrument though).
    I don't personally know any bassists that could help so I suppose this is the best place to ask.

2. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    Leave it strung "correctly" and learn to play it that way. In the short term this will obviously require a period of adjustment, but it will be well worth it in the long term. You don't want to commit yourself to a lifetime of only being able to play basses strung "upside-down" just because you happened to start out that way for a couple of months. Besides, I think you'll be surprised to how much of what you've already learned will transfer to learning the "correct" way, and the adjustment won't be as difficult as you probably expect.

Skeezix, Kriegs and Mushroo like this.
  3. a123

a123

Aug 21, 2019
    Thank you for explaining! I really appreciate being able to consult more experienced people.
    I feel like I've wanted to hear that answer but needed someone that understands the issue to confirm it. It makes me motivated to learn again!

Lobster11 likes this.
  4. rufus.K

rufus.K

Oct 18, 2015
    SoCal
    Lifelong lefty player.

I play with the strings in the conventionally proper order of a lefty. (As @Lobster11 suggested you do)

There have been folks who do what youre suggesting, such as Billy Idol's bassist (Stephen McGrath). The advantage there is you will be able to pick up a righty and go. The disadvantage is most learning material will be backwords, chords will be funny to make, and all the girls will laugh at you.

I'd keep it "true" lefty.

5. brocket

brocket Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2017
    Coastal NC
    One of the guitar players in my band plays lefty with reversed string order (high e on top). He's a terrific player, and in his case he can use our other guitar player's guitar if he breaks a string. However, it makes it pretty difficult to try to follow him when learning a new tune, doubly so when he uses a capo. Fortunately it doesn't happen that often, but I couldn't imagine needing to do mental gymnastics every time I picked up my instrument. I'd keep it strung in the standard way.

6. Lobster11

Lobster11 Supporting Member Supporting Member

Apr 22, 2006
    Williamsburg, VA
    He's a bass player: The girls will ignore him.

+1 on everything else, tho. :D

rufus.K likes this.
  7. minddrain

minddrain

Dec 17, 2018
    I “learned” on a right handed. Switched to a left handed and kept it strung correctly. Got use to it. Never looked back. Makes everything more simple.

8. Malcolm35

Malcolm35 Supporting Member

You just ordered a bass, can you stop the process and just order a lefty?