Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left hand blues

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by BlackDeath420, Jul 4, 2001.

1. Alright here goes. I've recently started getting into bass solos like anethesia and orion. I really love to play them and I just finished anethesia recently but every time I get done playing it my hand starts to hurt . At first I thought it was because it was just a really hard song to play but when I was watching cliff 'em all I noticed that he keeps his thumb way over the top of the neck instead of in the middle of the back of the neck like everyone keeps telling me I should do. I tried to play it with my thumb sticking over the neck (except for chording positions and long stretches) but it didn't seem to help very much so I figured I'd come strait to the experts here at talkbass to see if you could help me. It really isn't that hard to keep my thumb on top of my bass neck but some of the four fret stretches seem impossible while doing that. I would appreciate any advice you could give me. Thanks.

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    There could be a lot of reasons, from your technique to the way your bass is set up to a problem with your hand. It is difficult to know without seeing and I feel that I might lead you down the wrong path to give advice in this situation. The health of your hand is too important. I would see and orthopedist that specializes in hands to amke sure everything is OK. If that all works out, I would investigate the bass setup, take some lessons with someone who really understands the nuts and bolts of PROPER left hand technique. You should also ask the orthopedist about warm up and cool down as well as stretching exercises for your hand. Get back to me and let me know how it is going.

Mike