Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LEft hand forM

Discussion in 'Ask Michael Dimin' started by Jazzfiend, Dec 28, 2002.

1. Jazzfiend

Jazzfiend

Nov 30, 2002
    Hey, i was just wondering.... well i whenever i play bass i try and keep my finger on the line in the back, to keep good form, but my fingers tend to curl arouund the string when i play, they're not out making sort of a tunnel above the strings. When i see pictures of people like jaco their fingers are way out, they hardly have any hand behind the neck, while i have the majority of my hand behind the neck. sorry if i can't articulate this well, it's sort of hard to explain. if you could point me to any sites with some pictures of proper left hand form i'd be very greatful. ThanKS!:D

-jazzfiend

2. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    JF,

I'll take some pics tongiht and post them. 1 question for you - did you post a similar question at my bassically.net forum (just so I don't go answering it twice). Happy New Year

Mike

3. Jazzfiend

Jazzfiend

Nov 30, 2002
    oh, no sorry. I don't go to bassically.net.

4. Mike Dimin

Mike Dimin

Dec 11, 1999
    Clinician: EA, Zon, Boomerang, TI. Author "The Art of Solo Bass"
    Here is a god way to approach the fretting hand. Make believe you are holding a baseball in your hand, now flip your hand over and place the pad of the thumb on the back of the neck, right in the middle (from top to bottom). Your thumb should be opposite your middle finger. You should fret the note with as little force as it needs to make the note ring clearly. Only lift the fingers off the fretboard enough to let the next note ring. When you fre the note you should be doing it with the top of the finger as opposed to the pad of the finger. I think that is where your concern might be coming from. Don't worry too much about the angle. Do everything else I recommend and you should be cool.

[​IMG]