1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Left hand fretting intonation...on FRETTED bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by AndyLES, Jul 25, 2012.

1. AndyLES

AndyLES

Aug 25, 2008
    New York
    Hi folks,

I realized last night that while I was playing, F# (2nd fret, E string) was sounding slightly out of tune. I realized that perhaps I was applying too much pressure, but, funny thing is, I've never had this issue before on other basses and guitars.

Could this intonation problem just be a case of sloppy technique, or should I get a set-up/fret job?

2. Jazzkuma

Jazzkuma Supporting Member

Sep 12, 2008
    probably set up, the other thing could be if you are bending the string slightly. But most likely is the set up.

3. nysbob

nysbob

Sep 14, 2003
    Cincinnati OH
    High frets and uneven pressure when playing can cause that.

4. t77mackie

t77mackie

Jun 13, 2012
    Wormtown, MA
    If it's only on that one note that sounds fishy. Do you have a fair quality bass?

Pressing down too hard on the string 'could' cause the problem but on a low F#? That's some Popeye stuff there methinks! Maybe you're bending the string? Maybe the fret is worn? Could be any number or combination of things....

Good luck.

5. Oneirogenic

Oneirogenic

Nov 10, 2009
    Maybe your ear is getting better? Almost all fretted instruments are "out of tune" in some fashion. Guitars are especially bad. If it isn't a setup or technique issue you may have the same problem I have with fretted instruments sounding just ever so slightly out of tune. It's why I prefer fretless, usually the intonation is my fault if its wrong, not the bass.

6. brainburst

brainburst

Jan 10, 2012
    bronx ny
    If your action is way too high, nut too high, string tension too stiff, fingering pressure at the upper frets changes tension too much and can make notes a bit sharp. How hard do you have to press to fret the string? The more resistance you feel means that you have to apply more pressure which means applying more tension to the string changing the pitch.