Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left hand:keep ring finger on fret?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Dragonlord, Jan 28, 2001.

1. Dragonlord

Dragonlord Rocks Around The Glocks

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    sorry but i couldn't find a better way to describe this:p
    when you play something like,
    ----------------------
    ----------------------
    ----1----3----4-----
    ----------------------
    ,do you keep your ring finger ("finger 1") on the fretboard,so that when you play the third fret you have both your 1st and 3rd finger on the frets,and then when you play the 4th fret,all three fingers are on the frets?
    I hope you understand what I'm trying to say here,my english aren't perfect...
    I always had one finger on the fretboard per note,but my ex-teacher had told me to play the way I describe above.It is more noticable when I play chromatic scales...I am slowly trying to do it this way,but I also wanted to know what you guys think about that...thx in advance

2. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    What I actually need to know,is if it's bad NOT to play that way...maybe you can play faster this way?

3. Gard

Gard Commercial User

Mar 31, 2000
    Greensboro, NC, USA
    General Manager, Roscoe Guitars
    You will be able to play faster that way, because of economy of motion. Never make a useless motion, such as lifting a finger off a string needlessly. It has a side benefit of slightly improving your tone vs. not leaving all the fingers possible down. By the way, the finger you're referring to, the #1 finger is called the index finger, your ring finger is the #3 finger.

4. Dragonlord

Aug 30, 2000
    Greece, Europe
    LOL!Excuse me but I wrote this stuff by 3:00 in the morning,so...And I was sure that something was wrong:D
    Anyway,thank you for answering,I think I got what I wanted to know...anyway I played a bit about an hour ago or so and I saw that I have almost fixed it...I thought it was economy of motion,I just wanted to hear it from someone else too...
    thx again,take care