1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left hand pain...(wrist) and right hand finger

Discussion in 'Orchestral Technique [DB]' started by menoluv, Oct 19, 2009.

1. menoluv

menoluv

Jun 24, 2009
    i bought my own bass and had been practicing for more than half a year now. the problem is i feel that the bridge is a little too high, and its been causing some pain to my wrist, i get something as if my veins had broken. in pain, whenever i put push my left hand flat on a wall or something, i get a very painful sensation, shud i change the bridge or mould it?

For the right hand, (i use the french bow), i always somehow slip my thumb from curving outwards into curving inwards. i noticed the 'thing' where i put my thumb on is really rounded, probably thats the problem, shud i change bow or was my method wrong?:help:

2. you definitely should not be experiencing pain when you play. this is a bad thing. it can only lead to trouble down the road. playing should not be painful. i would check your set-up and your techinque. my teacher was really great for me in this respect.

3. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    I am not an upright player, but I have experienced lef hand problems playing bass guitar.

First, stop playing for the moment. Begin icing your hand and wrist for about 15-20 minutes every couple of hours for a few days. This will help reduce the inflamation/swelling. Do not play until you do the next step.

Next, during this time take your bass either to your teacher, or to somebody qualified to take a look at this. It is possible the bridge is to high, and your left hand is working far too hard. Either way your setup needs to be addressed. If it needs to get fixed do so.

After the action has been addressed do not start out playing until your hand feels better. If it is not feeling pretty much back to normal in say 7-10 days I would have a doctor take a look at it. Being cautious now could very well save you from turning this from a minor to a major hand injury. Patience is your friend...if it hurts, do not do it.

4. menoluv

menoluv

Jun 24, 2009
    i suppose it would be my setup, cause for me, my teacher taught me using his bass, he wanted me to get intonation correct on different basses, so i guess it would be the setup of my bass....:confused:

5. Uncletoad

Uncletoad

May 6, 2003
    Columbus Ohio
    Proprietor Fifth Avenue Fret Shop. Technical Editor Bass Gear Magazine
    Yes, have you're setup addressed by a luthier to be sure you aren't being overly taxed by your instrument. Then stay involved in regular lessons with a teacher who is aware of your hand issues. Be sure you are not squeezing or using to much pressure to get a sound. A good instructor can help you with that.

6. menoluv

menoluv

Jun 24, 2009
    thanks, i'll make time to sent it to the luthier. but one thing that i am very sure of is that i must put more pressure to get the intonation right on the same 'fret'....:crying:

7. markkoelsch

markkoelsch

Sep 6, 2008
    There is pressure, and there is too much pressure. If you are having to work to hard you will strain your hand/wrist. I bet your action is to high. Take a break, take wherever to get your issue action taken care of, and rest your hand. With any luck you do not have permanent damage, and soon you will be playing a better setup bass, which will make you play better and easier.

8. It sounds like you're getting carpal tunnel. Now, while the bass might not have anything to do with that, it certainly can't help if your technique isn't right.

Is your wrist straight most of the time you're playing? It should be.

Are you using your thumb muscles to provide your stop pressure? Don't do that, pressure should come from the weight of your arm and the muscles in your shoulder; they're big enough to provide the power, your thumbs are not.

You need a doctor and a teacher, ASAP.

9. CT DB

CT DB

Apr 27, 2007
    Fairfield Cty, CT
    It is a disservice to the OP to suggest internet diagnoses. It doesn't sound like Carpal Tunnel Syndrome, and telling him that could prompt him to damage himself further with misguided home remedies. The advice for a doctor and a teacher is appropriate, and should be left at that.

10. Eric Hochberg

Eric Hochberg

Jul 7, 2004
    Chicago
    Besides lowering your strings, have a luthier check out the scoop of you fingerboard. Less scoop means easier to play all over the FB. I had a new board put on recently with less scoop than the old board and it made a huge difference in the overall playability of the bass. Much easier now. If your board has plenty of meat on it, a luthier can make this adjustment without putting on a new FB.

11. Well, I certainly don't recommend anyone try any interventions without an expert diagnosis, that's for sure. It sure does sound like something is going wrong in his hand, pins and needles suggests it's neurological... and beyond that, I'll let the doctors figure it out. So, point taken.

12. menoluv

menoluv

Jun 24, 2009
    well, my instructor corrected my hand, so now it's straight.but wad are u trying to get at when u said pressure shud come from the weight of your arm?
    btw, my thumb used to be the one excerting pressure, so i guess it wasnt the thumb problem?

13. menoluv

menoluv

Jun 24, 2009
    sorry, but what do u meant by scoop, is it how round the FB should be, or is it that the FB should be less rounded and more flat?

14. Weight of your arm: you should be able to take your thumb off the back of the neck at any time and still stop the string.

Scoop is longways; the fingerboard isn't totally straight from the nut down, and the precise amount of curve can make a big difference to how playable the bass is. Since necks can bend forward over time, the scoop can change. Fixing this is absolutely NOT something to try yourself.

15. +1 on the weight of the arm.

My first instructor pounded into my head that you should never be putting pressure on either of your hands when playing. In fact, he wouldn't even let me use the word pressure, always WEIGHT. When you put your finger down on the board try to let your arm hang slightly instead of holding the strings down with pressure from your thumb. The same holds true when bowing.