left hand pains

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Newman, Nov 6, 2000.

1. Newman

Jun 6, 2000
    ok I got a feeling lots of people here have went through the same problem i am. I play bass probably an average of 2hours a day and have been playin since may. Latly, my left hand has been experiencing some pain when i bend it alot or when im playing bass normally, mostly when i am playing something that involves alot of wrist movement, which i try to keep to a minumum. Well thats my story so I hope you guys have somethin to say about my situation. thx
  2. pkr2

Apr 28, 2000
    coastal N.C.
    Newman, if you've only been playing since May, 2 hours a day seems like a pretty grueling practice schedule. I would suggest this: any time you feel pain and don't know for sure whether or not it's bass related, just stop playing for a couple of days and see if the pain goes away. If the pain goes away find a teacher that will check your technique. Bad technique at this stage in your career will not only severely slow your progress, it can put an early end to your career due to hand injuries. If the pain persists after a 1 week layoff, see a doctor.

As a musician, your most valuable asset may be your hands. Gaurd them well because if you mess them up with C.P.S. or tendonitus they will never be the same again.

Good luck.

3. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000

Went through all that 8 years ago...hurts like doo-doo! Big thing is to stay positive about it, eventually you will get better, maybe not perfect, but better!

First you'll need to see a doctor about it, 2nd opinions are also highly recommended. What's important is that you diagnose what is CAUSING the problem: Injury? Overuse? Poor Technique? I feel that a combination of the above led to my problems.

Good diet is very important! Stay away from caffiene and alcohol...they dehydrate the body, and THAT causes LOTS of problems! When the muscles and tendons don't have enough lubrication, they get inflammed and ache like sons-a-guns...

Drink plenty of water...try plain water instead of Tea or soup. Try and work your way up gradually so you don't immediately 'drown' yourself...and space the water out during the day, instead of a gallon for breakfast.

A good multi-vitamin is very good for you. B-6 and B-12 seem to be the recommended vitamins for this problem, but I'd suggest just a plain-ol' multi-vitamin is fine (I am NOT any kind of medical guy, just did a LITTLE research on this 8 years ago...take me with a BIG grain of salt, please!!!) The studies on B-6 I saw stated it took about 12 weeks (3 months) to start showing an effect, so be aware it's not an overnight thing.

Rest is important, followed by stretching and strengthening exercises...check with a doctor for that!!!

Most of all, give it some time! I had stopped playing for around 18 horrible months, since I had it pretty bad! Give yourself at least 6 months before you expect any noticeable changes...HANG IN THERE!!! You will get better!

Best Wishes, and you're not alone.
  4. Dave S...

Dave S...

Oct 13, 2000
    Oh yeah,

Make sure your wrist stays flexible, if it has to bend a BIT to make some of the lower positions, that's okay as long as you don't have the 'death-grip' on the neck. Also, make sure you don't wear the bass too low...keep the neck at an angle that you don't have to reach down to...

Check with a good teacher...
  5. mikemulcahy

Jun 13, 2000
    The Abyss
    Good advise from all of the above, cant be sure about the vitamin thing but it sounds reasonable, but check with your doctor if this pain persists.It may be tendonitis or tenosynovitis which involves the synovial-lined tendon sheath. Or any one of a number of things.

The important thing is to listen to your body, if you feel pain STOP WHAT YOU ARE DOING! Its telling you something is wrong.
  6. Acacia

Apr 26, 2000
    Austin, TX
    stretch your hands and arms and back and neck before playing.
  7. Deynn

Deynn Moderator Emeritus

Aug 9, 2000
    I will vouch for drinking water. I switched a while back, from cola to water...and my hands have been feeling much better....:)