1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left Hand Palm Pain/Cramp?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by lburton2, May 17, 2012.

1. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    Whilst practicing minor scales I started to get a mild cramp in my left palm. I didn't pay a lot of attention to it, because It does happen from time to time when i'm working on scales for quite a while.. So finishing up my practice (a few minutes after the mild cramp) I noticed that the muscle in my hand, just under my pinky is quite large.. After some research I'm pretty sure it's the hypo thenar eminance muscle group. It's definitely larger than my right and it's almost warm.

Has anyone had this happen to them on here, and if so what did you do? Is it a common muscle cramp and should I just drink water and make sure and take potassium and stretch it, or should I consider it to be something worse? :meh:

2. Russell L

Russell L

Mar 5, 2011
    Cayce, SC
    Hey, pal, check in with the doc on that. I get a cramp once in awhile, but I've never had a muscle or anything swell up from playing, certainly not get warm. Sounds like a severe strain. I wouldn't delay getting professional advice. Wish I could help more.

3. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1.

When you get the OK from the doc to start playing again, one way to prevent cramp in future, is by doing gentle stretches for about three to five minutes, before you even touch the bass. Then warm up on the bass by doing some scales etc., slowly. Check out You Tube for "Warm up stretches for Guitar or Bass".

Staying hydrated also helps to prevent cramp.

4. lburton2

lburton2 Les Is More

May 15, 2008
    Detroit, MI
    thx fellas