Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left hand pinkie.

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Only, Nov 1, 2002.

1. Only

Only

Sep 8, 2002
    Warrensburg, MO
    I found out something odd today when I was stretching before jamming with my guitarist...If I start with my index finger on the 7th fret of my 34" scale basses, on the E string, my pinkie can reach as high as the 13th fret on the A string...And my ring finger can reach the same fret, with less of a "stretched out" muscle feeling in my hand. Is this unusual? It seems to me like my pinkie should be able to get farther up the fretboard than my ring finger.

And also...Due to this, I never use my left hand pinkie, except for chords...Is that something that's going to really hinder my technique later, that I really need to change soon?

2. I don't know if it will hinder your technique but I would definitely start using that pinky. I love my pinky! I use it all the time seriously though. If you find that it's weaker than the other fingers just work on it by going up and down the neck emphasizing the pinky. The pinky is a really usefull thing to have...:D

Mike

3. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    No it wont hinder your technique but like Oddman said its nice to use it. 1 because u got more fingers u can play more things at a time without using the same finger to play 2 frets next to each other and 2....havent thought of that one yet, start using that pinky, it will come in use

4. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX
    Definately work on strengthening that pinky! Like the others have said, it is very useful. One thing I did (and still do) to help is practice hammer-on's/off's using just the ring finger and pinky.

5. I preach and use the "one finger per fret" rule. Can't go wrong there....

6. Redhotbassist

Redhotbassist

Oct 19, 2002
    England
    thats quite a challenge, because u dont usually use them to do hammer-ons and pull-offs, well i dont.

7. jobu3

jobu3 Artist formerly known as Big Joe

Feb 17, 2002
    Mountain Top, PA
    is it better to have four guys working for you for the price of three or just three? i'd go four any day of the week! and you should learn to use your pinky for hammers and pulls and incorporate it into everday playing...

8. Grygore

Grygore

Oct 25, 2002
    Grand Prairie, TX

Hehe, I don't either, but I found it has helped me to develop strength...that's all I was sayin ;)