Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left hand position

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by krebsik, Jan 4, 2003.

1. krebsik

krebsik

Oct 9, 2002
    Czech Republic
    What left hand position is correct? After some time of playing I can feel pain in my wrist, which stays sometimes even for days.

I am aware of some bad habits I've picked - I am always pushing my elbow towards my chest, which leads to strange angle of my wrist. Could be the pain coming from this??

Could someone explain correct left hand position to avoid pain and discomfort??

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.
    :confused:

2. deadweeds

deadweeds

Oct 28, 2002
    Harbor Beach,MI
    Well to start off I would say to find a teacher to show you proper technique...

maybe do a search on proper technique on the site...

take it easy and don't be too aggressive either...take it slow

that's the best I can help...I'm sure someone else could offer some more help

3. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida
    propor left hand position is your fingers slightly curled one finger per fret, with your thumb placed center on the back of the neck parallel to your middle finger.

for a better example of what im talking about, either get a teacher or scour the method books at you're local music store, one book that I know of that shows an illustration of propor position is Jon Liebmans, Funk Fusion Bass.

Oh yeah, get the teacher anyway.

4. And MAKE SURE you warm up your wrists - stretching and playing scales slowly, then speeding up a bit.

Once your finished, warm down.

IN the long run, you won't regret it. :)

5. James S

James S

Apr 17, 2002
    New Hampshire
    krebsik,

The most common cause of left hand / wrist problems is playing the bass with the neck to low. This causes too much bend in the wrist.

For correct left hand / finger postion check this out:

http://www.jimstinnett.com/movies/lefthandalt.mpg

Cassanova describes it correctly in his above post.