1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left Hand Positioning Pain

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Osama_Spears, Jun 16, 2007.

1. alrighty, ive had my bass for leik a month now and I am beginning to experience discomfort (after playing for a short amount of time) in my left hand. I dont know if its my string height, or if its my poor left hand technique. it feels like im curling my wrist too much in order to play the E string, its hard to explain without a photo :(

i have been on electric for 5 years and my LH technique for upright is pretty much the same as I use for BG.

any suggestions on what I can do to evade pain? I have my first UB lessons this thursday(21st),so I will ask him about it as well.

2. Chris Fitzgerald

Chris Fitzgerald Student of Life Staff Member Administrator Gold Supporting Member

Oct 19, 2000
    Louisville, KY
    Try to keep your left wrist as relaxed and straight (with as little bend) as you can - this will involve a whole new arm position, but you can think of it as a higher elbow position. Also, try to practice in such a way as to minimize the amount of squeezing between the thumb and fingers of the left hand. The power to press down the strings on DB should ultimately come from the weight of your arm (including leveraged weight) and the larger muscle groups in the torso. I spend a little time each practice session working my scale/arpeggio exercises without my LH thumb touching the back of the neck at all just to make sure I'm not squeezing with the thumb and wrist. It takes a while to get the feeling of it, but it (not squeezing) is a much healthier way to play.

3. wathaet

wathaet

May 27, 2007
    Also think of changing strings by moving your elbow rather than the fingers and the wrist.
    Averything on double bass is large limb movements rather than micromanageing. keep the wrist and knuckles high and maintain some uniterrupted archform from the arm through the last joint of the fingers.

4. As Kjetil's comments remind me, when I started playing bass I had the problem of not moving my whole arm. Try to keep your arm (from elbow to hand) as one unit that slides up and down. Don't bend it at the wrist. As Chris said, the pressure should come from the shoulder, but the lower arm should move as one with thumb and fingers remaining parallel. It's not easy to do but you'll figure it out... :)

5. Jeff Bonny

Jeff Bonny

Nov 20, 2000
  6. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Mar 1, 2021