1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left hand question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DumbChild, Mar 28, 2006.

1. Hey people.

I just have a quick question. Using ur left hand, should the neck of the bass rest in your hand, or not? When it rests in my hand my third finger is a bastard and seems to want to sit on top of my forth all the time, when i dont i find it harder to fret notes however i get much more reach and find the fingers stay in place. Just wondered which one is the norm. Cheers

I just noticed that it seems you can keep it in ur palm until u need to stretch ur pinky over a bit, maybe both are necessary:p, lol im confused fill me in:D

2. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    Regardless of your posture, sitting or standing, neck strap or not, you are better off if the left hand (fretting hand) does NOT support any weight. This leaves your arm free to move to any position and your fingers free from any extra muscle tension.

3. Argh yea that makes sense, >< i guess ill try and keep my hand away from the neck. I find it much easier though, apart from the fact i cant ever reach 4 frets and my third finger keeps stuffing around. Second thoughts, i shoulda seen that thanks:D

4. JimmyM

JimmyM Supporting Member

Apr 11, 2005
    Apopka, FL
    Endorsing: Ampeg Amps, EMG Pickups
    This last posts tells me that you need to learn good technique. You should easily be able to reach 4 frets regardless of your hand size. So go check out a couple of websites or do a search on here and learn about good right hand. Better yet, takes a few lessons from a bassist who knows good technique.