Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left hand right hand question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by d_squad54, Jan 11, 2006.

1. d_squad54

d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    G------------------------------------------------
    D---------14----------12----------7--------7-----
    A------12---14-12--10---12-10--5---7-5--5---7-5-
    E------------------------------------------------

Could someone please give me the proper fingering for the left hand on this, right now I have

1-3-2-1-1-3-2-1-1-3-2-1-1-3-2-1
    or instead of where the 2 is should it be the pinky (4)?
    I just want to make sure I am doing it right (is there more then one way) since I am fairly new at bass.
    Thanks for your time. Also does it depend on the sound and the tempo of which fingers to use with the right hand, how do you decide?

2. Audiophage

Audiophage

Jan 9, 2005
    There isn't really a "right way". As long as you're not hurting yourself then your technique is fine for your playing.

If you're having trouble with the position switch you could use the open D string instead the first time you use the 5th fret of the A string to make the transition easier.

3. I don't see any problem with your frethand fingering, but its some extra work you don't really need. Try using the third finger to play the "stacked" notes. ie. 1-3-3-1-3-3- etc.

I would also concentrate on alternating fingers on your plucking hand. This will help you later when you want to play faster stuff. Since the piece has triplets, you could also take some time to work on a 3-finger plucking technique if you want.

4. d_squad54

d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks for the help guys. So when playing the stacked notes with my 3rd finger, should I hold both notes at the same time or separate? I realize it depends on the song but if I did held both notes with the 3rd finger could I mute the others when needed with my right hand? I tried explaining that as best as I could.

Basically I am looking for the technique that will simplify playing in the future if I we’re to play something along the lines of this movement. I might just be looking too much
    into this, if that is the case and it is just a matter of practicing different songs to find what works best, then alright. I am finding so many ways to play these riffs its making me think if I am doing it all right. My goal is to do this right from the beginning so I don’t have problems down the road with bad habits. Thanks again. Peace.

5. d_squad54

d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    I also forgot to add, this is another one i have had trouble deciding on.

|----------------------------------------------|
    |----3---3------3---3------3---3--------------|
    |------5----------5----------5-----------5----|
    |--3----------3----------3-------3-3-6-6------|

I have played this a few different ways, what is the ("right"), probably easiest way to do it? I am learning so i just want to make sure I am practicing the right way so i am not wasting time, or maybe slowing down my process.

What I think is right but am having trouble probaly because I am starting out is.....
    1-2-4-2-1—1-2-4-2-1—1-2-4-2-1—1-1-4-4-3

What sounds good but doesnt feel natural is...

1-1-3-1-1--1-1-3-1-1--1-1-3-1-1 1-1-4-4-3

I am having problems when it comes to reaching for that A# on the low string with my pinky then moving to the D on the A string. It's not smooth at all, just need practice im guessing. Thanks for your patience and help.

6. There really isnt a right or wrong but more of a convienant method. It'll be better for you and your fingers to actually play it one finger per fret method and then shift. A long time ago when first starting my teacher told me this and its been key to my playing. Many bassists and musicians ask me how i can reach so far and play constanty in the first 4 frets. Practice and stretching. You are asking how to play you riffs or whatever it maybe be. It may not feel natural because you are so used to playing it unnatural. I teach on the side to beginning and intermediate students and noticed that their playing may be good and they are creative but technique is awful. They ask me how can I become faster and smoother. And I simply answer," Your technique needs lots of cleanup."

I recall years ago I stopped taking lessons/school and well dove into a cornucopia of drugs and stupidity. Didn't touch the bass for about 2 years, pawned my bass and just stopped music as a whole then one day I decided to pick it up again. And practice. I got my life back on track and started to play again. The first thing I did was clean my technique cause my teacher told me it was needing some schooling. I just went to page one in my book and started out from scratch. I then took a few lessons and got a little theory out of the way.

I'm still in the process but have got lots of complements for my technique. I sugest you use finger per fret method on your riffs and lines and then shift to whatever desired position you need to. Practice stretching your fingers skipping 2 frets. ie. 1-3-5-7 going up and down the whole fretboard if you are comfortable with 1-2-3-4 method. You be able to reach that A# and many other notes and go way beyond. Put some time in your playing and the results will blow you away. Just practice.

7. theshadow2001

theshadow2001

Jun 17, 2004
    Ireland
    How about a different fingering?

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]---9-----0-7---0----------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]-7---9-7-----7---0-7-0---0---0-[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]-----------------------7---7---[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]---------------------------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]1 4 3 1 x 2 1 x x 2 1 x x 1 x[/FONT]

x's there because you dont need your finger to sound open strings.

Or maybe a little better

Code:
    [FONT=Courier New]--9--------7---------------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]7---9-7------7-----7-------------[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]--------10----10-----7------7----[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]----------------10----10-10---10-[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]1 4 3 1  4 2 1 4 3 2 1 4  4 1  4[/FONT]
    [FONT=Courier New]          (1)     (1)[/FONT]

On the second version in brackets I have the 1 in brackets where I might barre two strings with my first finger. In other words hold down fret seven on the g and d string(in the first occurance) with my first finger at the same time, then after sounding the note remove the part of my finger holding the g string while still keeping it held on the d to sound the note on that string. The same the applies the second occurance.

I dont have my bass with me so I'm not 100% on how either of these would work

Try your best to get the fourth finger into the swing of things. Its a really big help

8. d_squad54

d_squad54

Dec 2, 2005
    Thanks guys, I have been playing acoustic guitar for about a year and a half but never really got my technique down and never really learn to use my pinky all to well. That’s why I am having trouble I figure. When I discovered I would want to learn to play bass I knew the dedication and consistency it took and how important it is to do it right from the beginning. I realize that this stuff doesn’t come over night but it is important to practice every night. Since I got my bass I have been practicing a lot more and actually more practicing rather then just messing around and strumming chords like I did on my acoustic. Since then I have already notice a difference, it’s only been a few weeks but my fingers are already stronger and more agile. Even when I pick up an acoustic I am like, “hey I couldn’t do that before.” So I know the hard work pays off and I plan on keeping it up this time on the bass. So thanks guys for the feedback. Peace.