Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left Hand Slap question

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Hambone, Jul 27, 2002.

1. I'm workin' on some left hand slap techniques as offered by Dave LaRue on the Bassic Instincts course but have run across a problem. I don't understand where the best position for my left hand should be for the slap. I'm getting harmonics everywhere I try.

What exactly is the technique for the left hand attack?

2. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    You can do it anywhere. Use two or more lefthand fingers, though. Using just one will trigger the harmonics; using two or more will mute them and give you the percussive sound you want.

3. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

I don't think there's any specific place for your left hand to be. Just make sure that it's flat and that you're connecting with the middle sections of your fingers. As for the harmonics, maybe you aren't hitting hard enough so you're not getting it muted enough ?

4. By "middle sections" do you mean the second pad of the middle fingers? That would be quite a feat for damping the E string with my sausages for fingers.

5. Tyler Dupont

Tyler Dupont Wesly Headpush

ya, the second section from the top...just don't use your finger tips.. I keep my middle, ring and pinky fingers tight together and keep them as level and flat as possible to make a nice smacker. :D

6. Got it! That "middle, ring, and pinky" combo feels like it'll do the trick.

Thanx

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    You can use the full length of your fingers.
    Just make sure you use several (or all) fingers at once to avoid unwanted harmonics. Also, slightly curve the fingers, so that you hit all strings - this makes the slap more powerful and louder.