left hand slap

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by Son of Bovril, Mar 3, 2005.

1. hey guys - i was reading another thread, where someone was talking about left hand slap - can't find it again? anyway , his description of the technique didn't really explain clearly how to actually do this?
    could someone maybe explain o me exactly how to do this? :help:
  2. It's probably the easiest bass technique I've ever learned. The goal is to produce a whack sound, as opposed to a slappy note. Just straighten out two or three fingers (I usually use middle through pinky) then whack them against the strings. Don't put so much force in one place that you tap a note. Left hand slap is another way to add dead notes.
  3. ok cool, so you mean thats all there is to it!? I thought this was some hectic technique like double thumbing or something!
  4. Vorago

Vorago (((o)))

Jul 17, 2003
    Antwerp, Belgium
    Nonsqtr had an excellent post about it, here it is:

5. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
  6. thanx guys your explanations and links have been very usefull - I'm sure I'll have it down in no time - plenty of practice required...
  7. Superdave

Apr 20, 2003
    St. Louis, MO
    Can someone toss up a groove using this technique?
  8. Alvaro Martín Gómez A.

Alvaro Martín Gómez A. TalkBass' resident Bongo + cowbell player

Try this one. T= Thumb. P= Pop. LH= Left hand slap.

Attached Files:

9. JimK

Dec 12, 1999
    Example 7 on the Larue link is a sample groove.

Something I have been constantly working on-
    LH Slap plays a Clave rhythm(1--a--&-3-&-4---)
    RH freelances with Thumb & Pops

And for cross-rhythms/polyrhythms-
    Example: '6 Over 4'
    This rhythm on ONE(1) line looks like-

LH Slaps play the "4" component

RH plays the remaining 'beats'
  10. leanne

May 29, 2002
    Rochester, NY
    Here's a sort of exercise, I think I got this from a Louis Johnson video, but who knows how close it is to what I saw...

- Mute the strings with your left hand, probably your 1st finger. Pop a muted string with your right hand.
    - Slap down the other fingers of your left hand to make a percussive sound.
    - Keep the strings muted and thump with your right thumb.

Do this as a triplet, over and over. Then once you've got it down, do what you want with it. I have fun practicing this. Hope it helps.