Left Hand Speed and Technique ?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by DreamJazz, Apr 29, 2002.

1. Hi, I was wondering if anyone could refer me to some good exercises for attaining better speed in my left hand along with good tips for playing fast withough pain, whether the tips come from a website or a really good technique realated book or instructional video I'm open to all suggestions. I haven't been able to find any books or videos on my own that look like somethin I'd really be interested in, aside from John Myungs Movie (but I currently play a 4 string) and that vid is geared more toward six strings. to clearify what skill level I'm looking at it would be like Intermediate to Advanced.

2. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA
    get the book BASS FITNESS.

i do a page every morning first thing.

after that and my modal studies, i'm flyin'!

3. Cool. Is the book written in Notation or Tab ? Is it one of those books that come with an accompniment CD ?
  4. I have this book, it's basically a bunch of different exercises for the left hand. It's up to you to come up with a work out.
  5. frederic b. hodshon

frederic b. hodshon Supporting Member

May 10, 2000
    Lake Forest, CA

the exercizes are in both tab and standard notation.

as with most books, it IS up to you to create your own daily routine.

if you are a complete beginner, this could be an issue.

those with some music education background (private lessons, school band, etc.) should not have a problem creating a daily regimine.

its a great collection of workouts. i've gone through the book once at a fixed tempo, and have started it again slightly faster.

if you follow it stricly, you can't avoid improving.

6. herrera

Feb 15, 2002
    well most of the time as im going on exercises i try to do patterns like this ones with each one of your fingers you will see...

1234 2341 3412 4123
    1243 2314 3421 4132
    1342 2413 3124 4231
    1324 2431 3142 4213
    1423 2134 3241 4321
    1432 2143 3214 4312

inedx finguer will be 1
    the F finguer will be 2
    the ring finger will be 3
    and the little one will be 4

whe you start with the one you can do that at 120 bites per minute with a metronome , that give you a lot of strenght

when you are tired of that you can start puting the finguers form uop or down

and then another thing that you can do is live the start finguer (in this case 1) in the E string (with five or 6 string on B) and then do the exercise going down all the finguers but leave the 1 on the B or E string...do that that is ver hard to do and it is fun!!! you will never get tired of this exercises!