1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Left Hand Technique

Discussion in 'Ask Lynn Seaton' started by markdamelin, Apr 12, 2009.

1. markdamelin

markdamelin

May 26, 2008
    Hi Lynn,
    When practising a scale like Gb with no open strings down low on the double bass, do you move your thumb when playing the Bb and Eb or do you pivot on the thumb instead? I start in first position (index finger on Gb) and pivot on the thumb to half position for Bb and Eb and then pivot back to first position for the other notes. What is the correct technique?
    Thanks,
    Mark

2. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    As with anything, there is more than one take on this. I am a fan of the Rabbath method so would pivot back for the two notes. There are others that would shift back for the notes.

3. markdamelin

markdamelin

May 26, 2008
    thanks so much for the feedback. hope to see you at jamey a's camp in july.

4. Lynn Seaton

Lynn Seaton Gold Supporting Member

Nov 3, 2006
    Denton, TX
    You are welcome. I hope to see you as well at the Jamey Aebersold workshop. If you have not registered yet, please go to www.jazzbooks.com . The Aebersold workshop is the one that sets the standards for summer workshops. It is the greatest gathering of many wonderful teachers and players in jazz. The students come with a variety of skill levels from beginners to advanced. The programs have been around a long time and really have helped so many players and students.

5. markdamelin

markdamelin

May 26, 2008
    I'm registered for both the workshop and camp in the first week. I started learning the double bass a couple years ago at age 55 with little musical background. I can't tell you how much I love playing the instrument nothwithstanding the challenges that it presents (especially at my age which is kinda like teaching an old dog new tricks).
    All the best.
    P.S. I think your bowing solos are sublime.