1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Left hand thumb bending

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by highandlow, Jan 14, 2012.

1. highandlow

highandlow

Dec 15, 2011
    I have searched the site and read many posts on the left hand thumb technique and it seems there are a lot of opinions. My question is a little different. I play typically with my left thumb about halfway pointing towards the headstock and half up straight. I have a thumb trait called "hitchhikers" thumb which allows me to really bend my thumb backwards without pulling or straining it. The problem comes that I read to keep the thumb generally straight with a slight bend. When I start playing, my thumb bends backwards at a pretty good angle and I can't really help it without putting force into it. My question is, if it doesn't bother me should I just keep at it, or should I try to work it to a less prominent angle? Thanks

2. k31bassman

k31bassman

Feb 4, 2010
    Nebraska
    If it's natural don't worry about it. Strain and pain is asking for problems.

3. funkingroovin

funkingroovin Conquering A-D-D,and all the other notes as well!

Apr 19, 2009
    Hawaii
    I have the same thumb issue,and my ring finger doesn't work correctly due to an old injury. I use my index and pinky for 90% of the fretting,occasionally working the middle one in there.

My 'by-the-book' technique sucks,but what I do works well enough to keep me gigging every weekend..bottom line IMO--Do what works for you.

4. fearceol

fearceol

Nov 14, 2006
    Ireland
    +1.

OP, there is absolutely nothing wrong with the "hitch hiker's" thumb. In fact, with the thumb like this, the hand is at it's most relaxed and neutral position. A fellow TB'er Adam Neely explains it here. He talks about the thumb at around the two to four minute mark, but the entire clip is well worth watching.

Developing Safe Left Hand Technique for Bass Guitar - YouTube

5. highandlow

highandlow

Dec 15, 2011
    Thanks for the reassurances. I figured if it feels right go for it, I just didn't want to have trouble down the road.