1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left hand vibrato

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by schmig, May 17, 2011.

1. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    Hi folks,

Please check out the bassist in the link here to understand what I'm asking about.

YouTube - Rn'R Blues Band performing Tin Pan Alley by Robert L. "Bob" Geddins

Check out the "wobble" on the note around 3:51

(bassist by the way is the excellent Jerome Rimson - we are very, very fortunate here in the south of Ireland to have this guy around)

To see it used by someone else - I saw a Willie Weeks solo posted in another forum today:

YouTube - Eric Clapton - Got to get better in a little while

Before I ask - been playing regularly about 1.5 years - I'm still not very comfortable, but getting there.

Questions about this technique:

- How is it applied? Seems to be like a combination of gentleness and strength - in the first video Jerome appears to be sliding between two frets repeatedly, rather than just doing a vibrato on the one note? If I do this, it sounds like some clumsy idiot sliding over a fret.

- Where is it generally played? From what I can make out, it seems to be largely between the major 6 and dominant 7, also the major 2 and minor 3?

Any general thoughts on this would be appreciated. To my ears it adds MOUNTAINS to the feel.

2. Hi are you hearing the vibrato at 3:51 or the trill at 3:47?

3. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008
    At 3:51 - it's quite slow...sounds like the one note is 4 notes - boo-oh-woo-ohh ... if you get me?

4. Skitch it!

Skitch it!

Sep 6, 2010
    Lighten finger pressure to fret the note with the least amount of tension required and trill between the 2 frets or 3/whatever but finger pressure is the key there, the movement is in the whole hand, not just the fingers. Don't grip it, it's got to be light/er.

5. schmig

schmig

Nov 30, 2008