Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left hand wrist positioning

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by hoesley, Jul 23, 2000.

1. hoesley

hoesley

Feb 3, 2000
    A question about left hand position:
    I only play a four string fretless, and I usually keep my thumb in the middle of the neck. But when i'm playing on the E and A strings, especially on lower frets, i have my wrist below the neck, fingers pointing up. But when playing the D and G strings, espicially in the middle of the neck, my wrist comes behind the neck, and my fingers become more paralell with the neck. Is this normal technique? It does cause some pain/discomfort in my wrist, but it seems like a natural way to play.

2. msaygilar

msaygilar Guest

Apr 18, 2000
    Istanbul
    Your wrist must be below the neck always. And keep your thumb in the middle of the neck. Well it'll be hard to get used to but that's the right way.

------------------
    The Only Mask I Wear is the One I was Born With..

3. Chris A

Chris A Chemo sucks!

Feb 25, 2000
    Manchester NH
    hoesley--
    When your fingers go for the lower strings on the neck, your thumb should slide down towards the higher strings on the neck. This brings your wrist around and almost on the front of the neck of the bass. You should never bend your wrist backwards while you play, that is just asking for an injury.

Chris A. [​IMG]

------------------
    "I have all my own teeth!"--Jenn Scott Poulin

4. mellowinman

mellowinman Free Man

Oct 19, 2011
    Minneapolis
    This is the oldest thread I could find in this section. I like to keep my wrist turned slightly, and fairly straight. It would always be above the bottom of the neck, and below the top. I am a Cancer, and I enjoy long walks on the beach, fire, and watching rugby matches with the film reversed, so the score goes down.

5. Humbled

Humbled Banned Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

I find that my wrist finds it own counterpoise as long as I pair off my fingers in groups of three and line them up in a circle.