Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left hand

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by Idgeit, Sep 21, 2005.

1. Idgeit

Idgeit

Sep 21, 2005
    Hey all,

I've been playing guitar for years, and also been playing bass. but one thing that i have never tryed is the double bass. Thing is, Im a leftie.

Is their left handed double-basses?, or they just restringed backwards?.

Im completely lost on where to start,

Thank you kindly,

- Idgeit

2. Bob Rogers

Bob Rogers Left is Right

Feb 26, 2005
    Blacksburg, Virginia
    I went through this starting last March, and there are several threads on the subject since that time. I got a lefty Christopher one month ago. (Warning: I had a six month wait. However, I'm very pleased with the bass, and I'm having a great time.) Engelhardt makes lefties, and Bob Beerman's Bass Shop had one in stock a month ago. Arnold at New Standard says they will build lefties. Upton Bass and Bob Golihur both say they can get lefties in, but I have no direct experience with either of them.

Oh, you can't just switch the strings. The biggest problem is that the internal bracing is not symetric. There is a long vertical "bass bar" on the side of the low strings and a "sound post" running between the top and the back on the treble side. You would have take off the top to switch the bass bar.

3. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist

Apr 7, 2005
    Sutton, MA
    First read the newbie sticky posts.
    Second, what is your budget for this bass? Once we know that we can push the upper limit for you.

I would stay away from the Englehardts b/c of the thin neck.
    I'm sure that Arnold or Upton's could get you one in less than 6 months and not sure how long it would be for BG to get one.

4. ctcruiser

ctcruiser

Jan 16, 2005
    West Haven, CT
    You will find plenty of good advice and information in multiple threads throughout talkbass.

I know I read as much as I could before deciding on my lefty Englehardt. Coming from playing the EB, I liked the thinner neck plus I only had to wait a few weeks for the delivery as they are American made. Gollihur's website is showing the new color of the ES-1 model.

Once you know your budget, you can get plenty of advice on a lefty DB.

Happy hunting!

5. I have one of Bob's Bulgarian Basses. It's a rightie. Another member, Timometz. has a leftie.

You get a lot of bang and boom for the buck with one of Bob's Bulgarian basses. I had mine in about 6 weeks. Great Bass. I don't think it would take him any longer to get you a leftie than a rightie since all of them are custom order. I got the big 5 stringer, BOOooooOOOMMM,mmmmmmmmmrrrrrrmmmrmmmrrrrrrrrmmmrrrrrrr!