Left Handed 70s P Bass - Mismatched Parts?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by db9091, Mar 8, 2017.

1. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    Hi,

New to Forum.

I'm not happy with my 4003 recorded and was interested in a 1970s Left-Handed Fender Precision Maple Neck bass, but I with a Jazz pickup mod, this way I'd have the bottom end of the P but some treble of the Jazz to mix in. So when I saw a bass listed as a 1976 Precision modded, I asked for a video of playing it, it sounded nice, and I bought it.

Pots, Bridge, Pups are not original. Only tuners, pickguard, neck and body but the body is routed for the extra pot and pickups (which is set a bit more Treble end than a normal Jazz, but this seems to give it more room for versatility) and really scared from buckle rash, maybe a watch, and the neck a bit from a ring (which doesn't bother me, I'd rather have a "players guitar")

I looked up the stamps and all, and it seems like a 1975-ish body via serial number, certainly post 73/74 by routing. The neck tho appears to be 1971 by stamping (01 10 351 and last digit is marred, best guess it's a 5) Yet I read people say "R. Bush" is a 1974-75 QC person. The neck obviously had a fret job since the 10 means it was originally a "fretless maple" I read.

Strange, but the Fender logo has no (R) on it, nor does it say "Precision Bass", and while I've seen some LH w/o the "Precision Bass", I've NOT seen one w/o the (R). Is that unusual, or anything goes for a lefty? The back, like all LH models of the 70's DOES have that little piece of wood routed and filled in with filler. ONLY lefties have this. Strange, but I'm sure it's a real Fender, not a fake because of this.

In it's modded form, it seems to play really nice, good sustain, nice sound, good intonation, lots of variety on tone, what I was looking for. (btw, the case is original, but is quite moldy. Gonna have to fix that)

But on the other hand, having been advertised as a 1976, and maybe it being a parted guitar, IDK, I kinda feel like I paid too much ($1500) or that it was false advertisement. BUT I keep telling myself that its about how it plays, lefties can't be choosers. Its not like resale on a modded guitar is going to be great to begin with. The seller was very nice, I didn't get any bad impressions. Just seemed like a baby boomer thinning the herd from a guitar he bought in 1980 from a guy who said HE got it in 1976, so he assumed it was a 76 (which from the SN, Fender says IS 1976)

All in all, I kinda like it.

Just asking for the forum's thought. Much thanks, folks!

IMG_5132_zpsajrkvzqp.gif
    FullSizeRender-1_zpsuvwlomzf.gif IMG_5082_zpsbmbppu03.gif IMG_5016_zps4f8j8ulz.gif
    IMG_5133_zpsotcw5zrb.gif IMG_5014_zpsuwgy3ihd.gif

Last edited: Mar 8, 2017
  2. kx-

kx-

May 26, 2014
    I have no clue, but that is a dope looking bass!

3. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    Thanks!

About all it's missing is black block inlays!

kx- likes this.
  4. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    It appears to be a 70's Fender lefty with many of the typical "70's mods" done to it. Many of the lefty basses made by Fender in that period did not have the model name decal on the headstock.

Here is my '75 with most of the typical mods (I didn't strip the body down to the natural wood, thank God!)
    100_0071.jpg

bassdude51, marsbel and kx- like this.
  5. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    The main nagging thing is that lack of (R), it just wasn't put on there.
    (It's definitely not a fake neck tho)

The one thing I noticed is how far back that Jazz pup is on mine.
    Your's is more typical: Jazz pup is in the middle between the treble P pickup screws and the bridge 5 screws.

6. BassholeKI

BassholeKI

Feb 10, 2017
    Is it that, or is that an aftermarket bridge?

7. cronker

cronker

Feb 13, 2007
    Australia
    Some of the very wonderful Fender experts on this forum explained the lack of decal detail to me a while back.
    When Fender did a run of lefty decals, they chose to make them very generic so they could use them on various models. My lefty Jazz doesn't have "jazz bass" on the decal, etc.

The mods clearly make it harder to judge, but I will go out on a limb and say that I think $1500 is a little rich for my blood.
    Great looking bass, however.

kx- likes this.
  8. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    South Bend, Indiana
    '73 Ric 4001-3.JPG P-Bass 1.JPG That's a nice bass. Believe me; I know lefties can't be choosers - sometimes. I got lucky, and got this '78 P-Bass from a friend, who was also the original owner. I won't dispute cronker's info, but... maybe because mine was custom ordered with an "A width" neck, it has the full-on Fender headstock decals - just lefty-ized... As for paying too much? Maybe you did, in other people's eyes; but if you can afford it, and it makes you happy - hell, even if it just makes you happy - then no, you didn't. I won't tell you how much I paid for this beat-up '73 4001 Rick, at the height of the "There'll never be any more Lefty Rick's" period; but, it makes me very, very happy...:thumbsup:

9. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    BassholeKI,
    It's a Badass II, but the 5 screw holes line up and I'm measuring by those and p pup magnets.

10. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    GIBrat51,

I was on a list for 2 years to get a Rick 4003 and then there wasn't enough supply and I got bumped off to restart a new list. I looked for Lefties and at the time they went from $2200 to $2800 and righties jumped from $1800 to $2200 so I was like "I'm getting used Righty for now"

As fate would have it, I found a used recent (2004) 4003 Righty for $1150 (it was a vintage store so I figured they didn't care about "new" guitars) but when I called, I overheard the guy talking to another guy off-phone and the other guy said the pricing was a mistake. He suggested his co-worker tell me shipping would be $50 for that one (anything over $1000 was supposed to be free shipping) and see if I hung up and they'd change the price. He gets back on the phone with me and I got "Here's my credit card number", lol.

So if I lost money in one instrument, I got it back in another. I'm not in business, so I rationalize the differences in prices as "Rental Fees"!

ICM likes this.
  11. If that was originally a fretless neck it wouldn't have the position markers on the face of it, and the side dots would be lined up with the frets, not in between like a fretted neck has.

12. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    I could see someone adding the dots, but I'll check the dots on the side when I get back home. IDK where they line up. Hmm. Cool point, thanks!

13. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    The dots run between frets, so yeah, appears it never was fretless to begin with. Good call, JimmyThunder!

14. bassdude51

bassdude51 "You never even called me by my name." Supporting Member

Nov 1, 2008
    Central Ohio
    LIKEY! Lefty Ps RULE!

15. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    From other pics and talks on P basses, it appears that the number of 0110 3515 could mean the Lefty neck was originally made in 1971 and put into a bin waiting a potential Lefty order. And when it was ordered, it was fretted properly? So maybe they make a stock but don't dress it (i.e. side dots) until it's ready to put to a body? IDK.

Point is, that other 1971 stamp was actually a 1973 P Bass, as an example (pic attachment on first post):
    who can help decipher this fender neck stamp?

16. db9091

db9091

Mar 8, 2017
    Now THIS is interesting. Found a "Musicmaster" bass neck made in 1975 from same guy R. Bush, same guy.

Code looks to me to be xx00 3x15 so maybe R. Bush reversed the last 2 digits (Day, Month) or else he found a batch of '71 necks, lol.
    (the XX is supposed to be 49, 00 means Rosewood neck):
    The Guitar Garage: SOLD: 1975 Musicmaster Bass Dakota Red Refin

Probably just reversed digits of this one inspector.

So everything here points to 1975 it seems.

This says either of the last 2 digits from ppls experience (down the page to 2 neck ends):
    1970s Fender Bass Trivia (1970's '70s 70's 70s)

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  17. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 22, 2021