Left Handed Bass Players

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by curlizzle, Feb 25, 2005.

1. curlizzle

Feb 25, 2005
    I'm using a right-handed bass right now but I've always played a left-handed guitar. I was wondering if I could take the strings off and reverse them so that they would be strung the way a left-handed bass would on the right-handed bass. Will it sound the same and could it mess up the bass in any way? Thanks for your help.
  2. Minger

Mar 15, 2004
    Rochester, NY
    I think it should be fine - just be sure to do the intonation and you'll mst likely have a harder time with the upper frets (considering where the cuts are)
  3. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    I think it would be uncomfortable, being a lefty, myself. You would also have to flip the nut so as not to break it.
  4. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Can be done, I've done it with two instruments, but both were more "symmetric", so there comfort was not such a big question; but with an asymmetric body, ...
    A nut change is necessary, an you need to adjust the bridge.
    Other than that, it will most probably work
  5. mariner

Feb 18, 2005
    Front Royal, VA
    One of my early basses was a Hohner Steinberger copy. I actually dug out a cavity on the other side and filled the old cavity with putty. The only issues I faced was when I filed out the heel on the end of the neck to allow the E-string to fit on the G-string slot. Became really weak and lost some of it's material. That ended up being my "luthier" playground as I also yanked out the frets and changed the pickups too.

I often called it Frankenstein....

If you look around the local shops, I'm sure you can find a lefty model bass you'd like. Trade the right-handed model in or sell it to get the lefty. I would never switch over an axe again, too many tonal issues and fret buzz and other things to worry about...