Left handed basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Discrepancy, Jan 21, 2001.

1. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

Can anybody tell me why left handed basses and fretless bases cost more than regular basses. It doesn't make any sense to me. Its not fair to left handed people to have to pay more for a bass then the rest of us.
  2. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    I guess it's the "market". The majority of folks are right-handed.
    It could be the paranoia talkin', but I think there's a conscious effort
    in public grade schools to "convert" people from left-handedness.
    I play bass right-handed, but I do still write lefty. I recall back
    when I was learnin' cursive, the teacher tried everything to get me
    to write "right" :mad: .

Don't feel bad. I have similar problems with shoes...limited choices,
    they cost a ton (sound familiar?). Sometimes I think I'm Bigfoot's
    long-lost love child :p . There are some nice lefty Spectors and
    Yamahas at http://www.musiciansfriend.com . Or just go to Warmoth and
    get the parts to make your "dream" rig ( http://www.warmoth.com ).

Hang in there. You're in good company (Paul McCartney).

CRAP! I must be gettin' Alzheimer's...
    Welcome to TalkBass :D !
    They have 3 "hot-rodded" P Basses on sale ($899) in red, white, and burst...

[Edited by notduane on 01-21-2001 at 01:03 PM]
  3. Canadianbassman

Canadianbassman Guest

Jan 20, 2001
    I have the same problem I'm left handed and have big feet!

But it's true left handed basses cost more i paid $253(cdn)
    used.its dumb so dumb,and in schools teachers do try to get leftys to write "right".(even though i'm still in school)i'm still have this problem but LEFTY'S RULE!!!no ofense to right handed people
  4. notduane

Nov 24, 2000
    Discrepancy One more :rolleyes: ~ http://www.gbase.com
    You can search on "lefty instruments". I go take nap now :p

CBM Go New Balance! :D Before I found them I had to browse the Army-Navy stores,
    hopin' they'd mistakenly drafted a go-riller :p . Below is a link to online N/B dealers.
    Most have pretty good "closeout" sales. If ya' got a real wide fore-foot go with a "SL-2" type.

[Edited by notduane on 01-21-2001 at 04:11 PM]
  5. Yeah.. I've never seen a teacher try to teach the lefties at my school to write right. But I do have a left-handed friend who plays guitar righty.

I have another friend who has huge feet. He always has to order New Balances. But, he found this one pair of Vans in his size. That's never gonna happen again. :D
  6. Discrepancy

Discrepancy Guest

I don;t think you understand. I was just asking why they cost more. I play right handed. I was going to buy a left handed bass and play it Hendrix style.
  7. LeftyBass

Jul 20, 2000
    Man, I think that's a silly idea... us poor lefties with big feet are trying our darndest to find good lefty basses for reasonable prices and you want to go get a lefty bass and play it RIGHT HANDED?! Man, there ain't no justice... :)
  8. I'll tell you why they cost more. First off, lefties are 1/12th of the population. (I'm a lefty, but I forced myself to play righty) Now, when a manufacturer decides to do a run of lefty instruments, what do they do? First off, all components that are different from righty have to be designed. You dont just flip a righty part over and trace around it. We're in the Cad-Cam age, so all these components have to be computer designed, so the computer will "read" the instructions. Some parts will not be "mirror- image", such as Fender headstock decals. They have to fit in the space available, and they have to look good. All the manufacturing jigs and settings have to be redone for all these components. Because of the cost of some of these machines (we're talking 1/2 a million in some cases), they dont tend to have spare ones set up just for leftys, meaning not only do they have to reset everything, but also while they're doing a lefty run, they cant produce any righty instruments. When they finish the run of leftys, they have to reset again before commencing production of their "normal" range. All this effort and downtime for what amounts to negligible sales for a big manufacturer. It's a wonder they bother with lefty instruments at all. There are not many components on a bass that are common to both left and right, think about it. Would you even bother going to all this trouble if you were a manufacturer? I would'nt. Of course, we're not talking about small luthiers like Tobias, Alembic etc, we're talking big factories that produce cheap and intermediate priced instruments.
  9. Yeah, some manufacturers charge higher for lefty models. Luckily, I didn't pay extra for any of these... :D