Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left handed basses.

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by cods, Jan 18, 2004.

1. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i have a friend who plays bass, and is left handed...and i am trying to help her find a bass. what is a site with a lot of left handed basses?

2. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    *does a sexy dance*

anyone?

3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    #1 - do a search

#2 - basscentral.com

#3 - southpaw.net

4. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    i did a search, but all threads with "left handed" in it came up...and that's A LOT of threads.

5. gweimer

gweimer

Apr 6, 2000
    Columbus, OH
    There's also a guitar shop that deals a lot in lefties located in Chillicothe, OH

Goodman Guitars
    (740)775-2777

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    use the "search titles only" feature and then read through them

-and/or-

use google

7. cods

cods

Sep 16, 2003
    do you think an mtd kingston 5 would be a good, moderatly priced lefty 5 string?

8. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    yup!

i have never played one, but for about a year i was going to get one from Gard @ basscentral.com until i got a warwick corvette pro 6 for 900 (it also came with a 5 string neck, wedges and another bridge). i couldn't pass that up, so i never got the kingston.

the great thing about the kingston is that the low B is prolly' the best for that money. the bass i totally upgradeable as well - get a new pickup and put a preamp - it will sound like a million bucks!

good luck
    :)

9. embellisher

embellisher Holy Ghost filled Bass Player Staff Member Supporting Member

Yes. If that is her budget, that is the best in the price range.

10. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Good budget lefty basses are:

-Fender Jazz standard
    -MTD Kingston (I have a 5-string, excellent!)
    -Yamaha TRB 5-string (also have one, excellent, but more money -$800 new)
    -Schecter basses (Stilleto or C4, C5) They have good reviews. Haven't tried one.
    -Any Music Man bass, either a StinRay 4, Sterling or StingRay 5.
    -Ibanez and Dean make OK budget basses, but limited models in lefty

As a rule of thumb, Korean-made basses are the best budget basses (my opinion...) Stay away from below-$400 basses (new) if possible. A Korean-made bass around $500 or more should be great.

Places to try to look for inventory (many have listings but only for show):

-www.basscentral.com
    -www.musiciansfriend.com
    -www.nextdaymusic.com
    -www.southpawguitars.com (a little expensive, or lets say unwilling to give a great price)
    -www.gbase.com (type in search LEFT* bass)

on Ebay, go to Musical Instruments, then Guitar, then Bass and then type in the search inside the bass section only LEFT*. That will give you all the lefty basses available.

I hope this helps.
    What is the bubget exactly?

11. Falk

Falk

Jan 18, 2004
    Norway
    Finding a lefty bass is always hard. I'm a lefty myself.
    My advice would be to try out major bass manufacturers, such as Fender, Yamaha and so on.
    Some of their models often comes as lefty as well. For example, I own a Yamaha BBN5L2 bass. It's of Yamaha's left-hand models, and it's quite popular as good-quality-but-not-to-expensive bass.
    Try talking to your local instrument retailer, and have them make a few calls, to find out whats in stock.
    (Or if your friend has the $$$, maybe a custom-made bass.