Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left-handed DB players?

Discussion in 'Jazz Technique [DB]' started by Mark Steel, Sep 10, 2000.

1. I'm left-handed and always played guitar and electric bass "right-handed." When I began to play DB it never occurred to me to play other than right-handed. Anyone out there who plays left-handed? Or knows anyone who does?
    To be honest it's always been a bit puzzling referring to left- or right-handed playing, as I've always thought it made sense to have the dominant hand on the fingerboard, which would make a left-handed person playing right-handed right! Whew! [​IMG]
    In an issue of Double Bassist they showed a picture of Scott LaFaro playing left-handed, but I'm sure they must have flopped the photo, yes?
    Mark

2. iloveloosey

iloveloosey Guest

Sep 9, 2000
    but I forget his name, something like "Red ..." of course, he's probably not that memorable! I personally think the upright is not meant to be played LH, because the hand that is on the fingerboard should be the one controlled by the right side of the brain... it helps intonation. Also, bowing is, I think, an abstract and precise mechanical action... something best done from the brain's left side. And, alright, Jimmy Haslip is the exception on fretless! (but still not the upright) Yeah, I'm LH (somewhat), and have played (and still can play), LH and RH. Strange, huh? Anyone else out there with this kind of dyslexia?

3. Don P

Don P

Jun 2, 2001
    I must admit,I am a diehard lefty.I have reversed stringed instruments from the bass bar out, as a luthier I have built custom violin,viola and double basses.I know a good number of left handed players through this specialty.The left brain/right brain argument is pure bunk.There are artisans in all disciplines who disprove-and cross those borders routinely.Hendrix, Haslip and Ed Howard to name a few.