Left handed Fender basses near extinction

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Bob Coldwell, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Fender's web site no longer shows lefty American Precision basses. Only American and Standard Jazzes. No Squier Precison either. Fender hasn't offered a left handed PJ for many years. And forget about a Dimension or any signature model (of course).

You can still order an LH P bass through the mod shop. But more money, 3 month wait and not all that many options. Again ... no PJ offered.

Why why why? I know - It's about sales. But come on. It's the most popular model in the history of bass and they don't want to sell me one?. Yes, there are still some at Musicians Friend and so on. I just would like to know what the marketing guys are thinking.

leftybass54 and Linnin like this.
  2. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    On the surface it is disheartening, but we will find out at Winter NAMM 2017 what F.M.I.C. has in store. The scuttlebutt is that a new Fender Professional series will be introduced. Elites being active and Pros being passive.

I was hoping that Fender's American Design Experience would be expanded to include made to order lefty Dimensions and Jaguars, but no. It may very well come down to Mod Shop leftys only at $1700 a pop.

I was looking closely at the new G&L Kiloton at about $1600 street price. Leftys soon to be available in 2017. Why Fender doesn't offer a lefty MIM passive Dimension at $700 in beyond me. They would sell.

leftybass54 likes this.
  3. BassChuck

BassChuck Gold Supporting Member

Nov 15, 2005
    Cincinnati
    That's business for you. 10% of the population is left handed.

4. I used to take great offense, as a persecuted minority. But I do understand that it's about numbers. Also, I know there are still lots of Am Precisions out there, were I to buy one today. I just don't see why they make 20 or 30 varieties of basses and currently only 2 in left hand.

There are plenty of other manufacturers fro me to buy from, which makes Fender's position even more absurd.

Linnin, I agree that the change from American Experience to Mod Shop was a disappointment. I too am curious to see what NAMM brings.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2016
    Linnin likes this.
  5. Dale Griffith

Dale Griffith

Jun 6, 2016
    I'm left handed, but when I first picked up bass and guitar only RH ones were available to me. I just learned to play right handed - and very glad I did. A large part, if not most of us lefties play right handed. The actual market for LH basses is probably much lower than 10%.

WheatPenny, edencab, bobba66 and 7 others like this.
  6. Linnin

Linnin

Jul 19, 2012
    Linningrad, Earth
    I also started out playing right handed. In 1975 I ordered a left-handed Fender Precision and am so glad I did!

leftybass54 and lermgalieu like this.
  7. bhunt1

bhunt1 Vintage Lefty Supporting Member

Jul 30, 2009
    Upstate NY
    Older than dirt ;)
    There are plenty of lefty Fender P basses out there used if that is what you are looking for. For a custom order you get many more choices w G&L for any variety of basses, including their Ps - the LB-100 and SB-1. The SB-1 is my personal favorite, more aggressive P tone, but if you want something parallel to the Fender P the LB-100 fits that nicely. All IMO of course.

kosmicwizard and McFarlin like this.
  8. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Ive never ever seen a single left handed bass being Played left handed. If 10% of people are left handed, youd think that one out 10 bands has a lefty bass Player.

I have seen lefty basses turned around and played right handed though. I think fender knows there is no money to be made in left handed basses - they are making a business decision based on their sales analysis.

9. bhunt1,

You're right. It's not like they can't be found. I just have to wonder why Fender is seemingly dropping them.

10. Paul McCartney
    Jimmy Haslip
    Glen Burtnick
    Dug Pinnick
    Lee Pomeroy
    Me

leftybass54, wmmj, Means2nEnd and 2 others like this.
  11. elgranluis

elgranluis

Feb 14, 2003
    Vail, CO
    Hahahaha you got me with macca. The other guys, however, I've never heard of.

bobba66 likes this.
  12. Well, to quote (or perhaps paraphrase) Sam Malone: Not many people know it, but I'm pretty famous.

13. seanm

seanm I'd kill for a Nobel Peace Prize! Supporting Member

Feb 19, 2004
    Ottawa, Canada
    I think this could be important in two ways to reduce the number of left handed bass players. 1, like you said, they learn to play a RH bass. And 2, they may just find a RH bass too uncomfortable and move on to something else.

I only personally know a couple of left handed bass players, and both play RH basses.

14. JakobT

JakobT

Jan 9, 2014
    Oslo, Norway
    They're still available on the Fender International website. I really don't think Fender is discontinuing left-handed Precisions. But they are discontinuing the American Standard series, so we might see new ones when the new series is introduced.

andrew likes this.
  15. 60bass

60bass Supporting Member

Apr 24, 2005
    Charlotte, NC
    I'm a lefty who's played righty from day one. If you think it's hard to find a lefty bass or guitar today. Just Imagine trying to find one back in 1966. Hard to believe after all these years the same basic lack of instruments for lefty's still exists.

leftybass54 and guy n. cognito like this.
  16. Although I don't have hard evidence to back this up, I'd be willing to bet the percentage of musicians who are lefties is at least slightly higher than among the general population. However, and there's actually plenty of data on this point, a significantly higher percentage of lefties than righties are what's referred to as cross dominant, meaning they're capable of learning to do things either left handed or right handed.

I'm definitely cross dominant, and, in fact, I played cello (right handed obviously) for several years before I picked up the bass. Had I not been such a big Beatles fan, I'm sure I would have ended up playing bass the same way.

mr15x3 likes this.
  17. McFarlin

McFarlin

Oct 27, 2011
    Austin, TX
    I wonder if they aren't more capable of being "cross dominant", but just more likely to convert through necessity (living with right-handed tools).

Also, Bob, just get a G&L LB-100. At Southpaw Guitars I spent hours going between the LB-100 and three USA Ps and a couple of USA Js. I left with the G&L.

18. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    Plenty of left handed players out here and many more left handed bass options than in the past.
    If I ever want another Fender style bass I'd build a Warmoth or USACG and get a far better product for the money.

Means2nEnd and CharlieC like this.
  19. Without evidence to the contrary I'd say that's probably correct. It seems to be something that either happens very early in a person's neurological development or not at all. A righty, living in a right handed world, wouldn't really benefit early on from that particular adaptation, so it would naturally follow that it would be pretty rare - which it is.

I think it's just a quirk of how the human brain naturally develops to route around problems, not unlike the way brain damage can result in other parts of the brain automatically being repurposed to replace them.

McFarlin likes this.
  20. Basshappi

Basshappi

Feb 12, 2007
    Tucson,AZ
    In 40 years as a gigging bassist the only place I have encountered prejudice against those who play left handed is on the internet.

21. Primary

Primary TB Assistant

Here are some related products that TB members are talking about. Clicking on a product will take you to TB’s partner, Primary, where you can find links to TB discussions about these products.

Jun 24, 2021