Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

LEFT HANDED HEAVY METAL 5-STRING BASS

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by steriogenesis, Feb 9, 2003.

1. Warwick Rockbass Corvette Classic

5 vote(s)
    55.6%
  2. Carvin B5

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
  3. EST LTD C-305

2 vote(s)
    22.2%
  4. Cort B5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. Schecter Studio 5

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. OTHER

1 vote(s)
    11.1%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. I know these arent the most popular choices in bass guitars but what else can I do (being left-handed and all....)

I'm leaning towards the Warwick Rockbass because of the active MEC electronics and pickups, and the CORT because I have liked what I have heard from Cort Basses in the past.

WHAT I REALLY WANT TO FIND IS A USED MUSIC MAN STINGRAY 5 OR A USED (REAL) WARWICK CORVETTE......THIS WILL BE HARD TO FIND THOUGH.

If you posted 'other' what else would you suggest?

2. What makes a bass a "heavy metal" bass?

3. Taylor Livingston

Taylor Livingston Supporting Member Commercial User

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    Owner, Iron Ether Electronics
    i think warwicks are fantastic soundwise, but, if your aim is to be metal-looking, shecters are so very sexy. i've never played one though. when will bc rich make a 5-string? those warlocks have pretty evil tone. maybe you could work on modifying one into a five... DON'T get that vampire rockbass by warwick. i will laugh at you. and my opinion is the most important.

4. I've got a (fretless) Stingray 5 for sale... admittedly, it's not the best tool for heavy metal, but still. Email me if interested.

(Oh: I voted for Warwick.)

5. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    They already do.

6. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    suppose you could direct me to a place where i might see one? i can't find it on the bcrich site, but maybe i'm not looking right. i'd be very interested to see one. you're talking about 5-string warlocks, right?

7. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    finding a used Stringray 5 or a used corvette is not hard to find at all.. they are all over the place.... maybe not in your price range.. but I suggest save your money and get what you really want

8. Lefty, dude, think lefty. ;)

9. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville

oh My B.... forgot about that part... ;)

10. PICK

PICK

Jan 27, 2002
    Sydney, Australia
    Here

11. leftybassdog

leftybassdog Senior Supporting Member

what type of sound are you looking for ? the stingray 5 will get alot of sounds, the warwick is a heavy bass, but I dont know about the new rockbass ,I have a warwick corvette 5 fretless lefty and I dont use it much. but the stingray I use all the time I have two one with rosewood and one maple. the leftys are not hard to find !!!!! there is a lefty 5 stingray on e-bay now but its fretless, or go to basscentral.com and you will find alot of them.GOOD LUCK with the hunt !!!

12. jasonbraatz

jasonbraatz

Oct 18, 2000
    Oakland, CA
    I play metal (along with funk, jazz, hip-hop, etc...) on a 6 string fretless thumb bass. as long as your idea of a metal bass != pointy/evil looking, i say just get whatever you like the sound and playability of best - don't worry about being metal.

13. when i used the words "heavy metal" i failed to identify what kind of heavy metal sound im looking for....

What I DONT want...

-Something dull to the ears and monotonous or smooth

What I DO want...

-A bass that when you hit a string the sound leaves people sh!tting their pants (or wishing they did)....lol....basically, if youve ever heard a metal band where the bass and the guitar were so distinct from eachother but yet fit perfectally... that low ballsy metallic sound coupled with glass shattering highs....

i hate to drop band names because i consider myself an individual and a creative mind, but here we go....

I really like the sound of the Warwick Thumb that the bass player from mudvayne uses, although the band is not one that i enjoy much.

If you get a chance to here a track from Mudvayne with a good bass part, that is what i want....its so different sounding (could be the compression also).

14. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    well, there you go. i figured you were right. seeing as how your avatar is a rich...

"Abgefahren!!!

Body Material Chesswood Neck Bolt-on w/ plate Neck Material Hard Maple Fingerboard Rosewood Fretwire Extra Jumbo Fret Number 24 Scale 34" Inlay Dot Headstock Style 2+2 Widow Hardware Chrome Tuners Sealed Diecast BC Rich Pickups 2 BCRich Special Design P-Style Bridge Type 4-string Fixed"

abgefahren indeed.

odd that they would say all that four-string business...

15. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    I'm not a big Mudvayne fan either, but as far as heavy metal bassists go, it really doesnt get any better than him. He seems to be so diverse in his playing abilities that its almost odd to hear it in a metal band. I would reccomend trying to listen to his playing as well.

16. Aristotle

Aristotle

May 12, 2002
    Easton, MD
    Sorry if that was incredibly off topic...

17. Taylor Livingston

Dec 25, 2002
    Louisiana, US
    i agree on ryknow of mudvayne. it appears you've already made up your mind, stereo. and most of us are with you. warwick.