Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left handed = less basses!!!!!!!!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by Joseph Sheldon, Nov 18, 2002.

1. I'm of course left handed and I always dread going into a music store to peruse around the basses because I know even by some remote chance they have a lefty bass around it's probably a new fender squire. Not to knock down Fender at all but you and I both know they pretty much suck @#$%^! even compared to the rest of the Fender line up. So I think I probably do what the rest of us southpaws do, look at crap on e-bay or check out anything on the web like southpaw guitars. Seems that there are alot of unwanted Ernie Balls out there. Recently I did bid on a 5 string on e-bay called a Raven and got it, funny it plays great the only problem is when I'm cranked up it makes as much noise as an electric razor! I can always put new pick-ups in it but anyway I'm rambling just want how many of us are out there in angst!

P.S. learn to play right handed I think not.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  3. Nick Gann

Nick Gann Talkbass' Tubist in Residence

Mar 24, 2002
    Silver Spring, MD
    I'm a lefty who plays righty. When I first decided to play, it felt more natural that way then to use a lefty.

It is no harder or easier. I can do just about everything that a righty at my level of experience can do.

I guess I am a freak.

4. feels pretty good to be part of the freeks i.e. Jimmy H., Paul Mc, Kurt K. ect...

besides the best part if yer guitar picker wants to show you something or your following him when you face him it's like being in a mirror neck to neck. Of the guitars only that is !!!!!!!!!!

5. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Welcome fellow lefty bassist!

There are a few others here, and I am sure we all share the same angst. :( I rue the day I decided to play lefty. MIM Jazz and P's are usually what I find in stores

I have had, over the years, a 70's Rick 4001, and a 72 Fender Telecaster :cool:

I was lucky enough to snag a Fender MIA Hot Rodded P-bass at MF for $549. It is a sweet sounding bass! It is the only bass I have now, and I am hoping I can convince the wife to let me get a 5 string, but I will be happy at this point to have her support my band. :eek:

6. Yea, typical freaks man.:rolleyes:

7. ya, im a righty and it must suck for the southpaws. i have a lefty friend and every time we go to the music store, i can play almost anything in there, where as he is restriced to the same les paul or strat every time... not to mention lefty instruments cost a bunch more.

8. SlavaF

SlavaF

Jul 31, 2002
    Edmonton AB
    Most companies charge an extra 10 or 15% on top of a righty for a left hander... ouch.

9. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Worry not! If you want a left handed bass then buy one. Yes, they do cost a little more, but then there aren't many of us around are there?

I have a lefty Schecter Scorpion, and a left-handed Washburn Bantam bass. I also own a LH Fender acoustic guitar.

My first bass was a Teisco which I restrung. (don't forget about adjusting the bridge accordingly)

I can play most stuff left-handed or upsidedown on my friends basses or guitar. What it comes down to is just knowing twice as many chords. Really wows 'em.

No worries mate!

I do agree that most, if not all music stores carry crap for left-handed players.

10. blackbass

blackbass Supporting Member

Aug 30, 2000
    Aurora, CO
    Also, I don't know where you are located, but try this website. A store based in San Antonio called Southpaw Guitars. www.southpawguitars.net if I'm not mistaken.

11. *whinny annoying voice on*
    I'm a left! Hey, hey look at me, I'm a lefty! Hey!
    *whinny annoying voice off*

hmmm....is it just me, or do most leftys actually play righ handed? I do, in fact I tried to hold a left handed bass and it felt very awkward.

12. Philbiker

Philbiker Pat's the best!

Dec 28, 2000
    Northern Virginia, USA
  13. muggsy

muggsy Supporting Member

Dec 14, 2000
    Alexandria, VA
    I'm a lefty but I learned to play right-handed. I play golf left-handed, and after 20 years of walking into golf shops and seeing dozens of right-handed iron sets and maybe three or four lefty sets, I didn't want to face the same problem when I started buying basses. I feel for you, but there's not much that can be done about it.

On the bright side, though I've gone through a bunch of basses in the past three years, I've had the same set of golf clubs for over five years. When you find something you like, as a lefty the lack of options makes it easier to avoid being tempted by something new. You may pay more for a lefty bass, but when you get a good one you're more likely to keep it.

14. I'm a lefty playing a right hand bass and i have the same feeling when holding a lefty bass. In fact my teacher just found out i was a lefty while I was writting some music. i have been studying with him for two years and he finally picked up in it the other week. he was surprised to say the least:D

15. Same here....
    I'm a lefty playting righty....
    I swing a bat lefty, and write lefty, but i couldn't play a bass lefty. I tried and it was soooo funny. Been playing righty for 15yrs.
    Interesting thing to me, I have a more fluid thumb movement on my left hand for slapping, and it just feels more natural to tap w/ my left hand, and when i play air guitar i play it lefty.
    strange i guess....

Go have a left handed bass made for you.

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    ****, i wish it was in san antonio (that's where i live), this place is in houston. check out the website, they have a decent selection and a few Roscoe basses.

just remember it's not the bass that get's you the gig it's the way you play. i got a mim jazz. i get some gigs.

good luck, fellow lefty!!!

17. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Philbiker was kinda enough to turn me onto this page as well, if you buy one of these, don't forget the sadowsky or u-retro pre-amp too!!!:D

18. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Just wanted to jump on the "lefthander who plays a "right-handed" bass band wagon.

I don't know why they even make lefthanded guitars. It takes two hands. One hand is no easier than the other. And when you first start, it all feels awkward.

They don't reverse piano keys for lefties.

Chas

19. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    if they didn't make lefties i would be able to play bass. i can't twist my left hand all the way to fret a right handed neck.

i am left handed, but i play trumpet and golf righty. i kick righty and i punch righty. i bat lefty.

are you left handed?

20. Chasarms

Chasarms Casual Observer

May 24, 2001
    Bettendorf, IA USA
    Totally. I eat, write, throw, kick golf, bat and everything else left handed.

I don't write backhanded or do anything else weird. My body symetry, dominant eye and everything else points to me being an absolute hardcore leftie.

I just don't see how it would be any easier to play one way verses the other.

BTW, I am pretty sure there is at least one HUGE string on this subject in the archive if you are interested in reading it.

Chas