1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left Handed Nut

Discussion in 'Hardware, Setup & Repair [BG]' started by robd7, Sep 21, 2008.

1. robd7

robd7

Apr 6, 2008
    Yes I am a left handed nut, but is there such a thing as a left handed nut, or are they universal?
    Thanks

2. flea claypool

flea claypool

Jun 27, 2004
    Ireland
    depends on the bass.. i know a warwick just a nut is square so it can be swapped around.. but some have slanted backs and wouldnt sit against the board if swapped.. whats the bass

3. robd7

robd7

Apr 6, 2008
    It is on a Fender Jazz.

4. Fretlessboy

Fretlessboy

Nov 29, 2007
    St Augustine Florida
    Endorsing artist GENZ BENZ/HERCULES STANDS/XSonics
    if you need a new one I think you will have to start with an unslotted blank and start from scratch. There aren't a lot of lefty over the counter nuts out there.

5. Rickett Customs

Rickett Customs

Jul 30, 2007
    Southern Maryland
    Luthier: Rickett Customs...........www.rickettcustomguitars.com
    1231_hysterically_laughing.

6. mjolnir

mjolnir Thor's Hammer 2.1.3beta

Jun 15, 2006
    Houston, TX
    Fender Jazz? That's a universal nut, just flip it 180 degrees and yer good.

7. robd7

robd7

Apr 6, 2008
    Everything is in tune and the intonation is good at the 12th, but the first three fretted notes on the E and A are way sharp. I read somewhere that it might be a nut problem, that the slots are to high. Does that sound possible?

Oh yea, did I mention I have this lefty strung right handed, and I did rotate the nut when I replaced it with a pre slotted Tsuq. I

8. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    If the nut's slots are slanted that may be what's causing the intonation issues at the first few frets.

A lot of nuts are slanted so that the string contacts the slot right at the end of the fretboard, not slightly farther towards the tuners.

If the nut you rotated has slanted slots, you might need to switch it out for one that either has flat slots or is specifically designed to be left-handed.

How many cents sharp are the first three fretted notes on the E and A?

9. robd7

robd7

Apr 6, 2008
    How many cents sharp are the first three fretted notes on the E and A?

The F is 19 cent, the G is 10. Bb up to the C are about 10 cent.

10. XylemBassGuitar

XylemBassGuitar Supporting Member Commercial User

Aug 14, 2008
    Durango, CO
    Owner and Operator, Xylem Handmade Basses and Guitars
    Yeah, that is pretty far off...

Like I said in my last post, you'll probably want to get a nut with flat slots, make one yourself from a blank or buy one that's specifically designed to be a lefty.

It's definitely possible that the nut is causing the intonation issues. If you get the replacement nut and the intonation is still screwy at the 1st-3rd frets, re-post so we can help you out.