Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left handed six string basses?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Djeetn, May 9, 2005.

1. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    I'm a lefthanded bassplayer and I want to know, are there any compagnies who actually make Six String bassguitars for lefthanded players?
    Does anyone have more info on this subject?

2. pointbass

pointbass Semi-Retired Gold Supporting Member Supporting Member

Nov 4, 2004
    Acworth, GA
    Endorsing Artist: FBB Bass Works
  3. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I have a lefty 6 string Wawick Corvette pro (it also came with a custom 5 string neck, shims and a 5 string bridge), a 5 string Jazz type bass, a 4 string Fender Jazz and one of three lefty messenger.com basses....

as to lefties, there are a bunch of maker that do lefties, you just got to look for them...

www.southpaw.net
    www.basscentral.com
    www.leftybasses.com or www.leftybass.com (look in the Secondhand area!!)
    www.carvin.com
    warwick basses website

also do a search, you will find a lot...

:)

4. form52

form52

Mar 17, 2005
    Warwick and Carvin make great lefty basses.
    The Schecter Stiletto Studio 6 also has a left hand option.

Then there's all the full custom guys, I'm sure most of them can make left handed basses.

Just glance around at different manufacturers web-sites. They'll probably say whether or not they come in left hand versions.
    If you're willing to drop some extra $$$ for them, go for the Carvins, if you're willing to pay even more hit Warwick or some of the other custom guys.

5. Djeetn

Djeetn

Jan 6, 2005
    Thank you all very much for the replies. I appreciate that very much. I've heard many great things about Brice, Warwick and Carvin. Will certainly check em out! Thank you all very much!!!! :hyper:

6. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    that's what we are all here for!

:)

7. CQBASS

CQBASS

Dec 1, 2004
    Asheville NC
    US Masters made me a lefty 5, but they do sixes too. they're great basses for the $. http://www.usmasters.com/ Check em out.

8. Dincrest

Dincrest

Sep 27, 2004
    New Jersey
    Warwick is one of the few manufacturers for whom a lefty of any model carries no upcharge. Though independent luthiers like Matt Pulcinella (http://www.mpguitars.com) have a pretty small upcharge for lefty. Matt's upcharge is only $100 and if you're spending $1500+ on a bass, an extra $100 is no big thing.

9. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    ahh, the price of uniqueness

10. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I just picked up my VB5 fretless from Bud Lecompte. He makes some beautiful basses. And yes he does build 6ers.
    Lecomptebass.com

11. actualy warwick does left handed models for no extra charge! :D oi did my research

12. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    oi, and I did order mine :p
    Well, yes, there's no extra charge for lefty, but most of the time we are not talking about list price, rather about street price. And then, having to order something as unique and rare as a lefty 6 makes the dealers add a bit of upcharge.
    Also, it's harder (much harder) to find used lefty basses, too.

13. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    not to brag or anything :smug: but I just scored a lefty Modulus Q6 on the bay :cool:

14. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    You were the one!!! Congrats!!! I was going to bid on that, but decided to let you win. :smug: :D ;)

15. Jmann

Jmann

Apr 29, 2003
    Lexington, Ky
    thank you very much for letting me win NJL... If you are looking for a new bass im about to get rid of my MTD 535...