Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left Handed Slap question....

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by LifeSpitter, Apr 8, 2002.

1. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Is left handed slapping the same as slapping an open string and hammering hard, or is there a difference? If so someone enlighten me....

Peace

2. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    well... I'm no expert on left handed slapping.. but I am pretty sure b/c this is what i sometimes will do is.. With my left hand i hit all 5 or so strings at at once. You hit all the strings and keep your left hand down as to keep those strings muted. I don't really do it that much so someone else can probably tell you more about it than I can

3. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    Is that right?

Can someone give an accurate description of this technique so i dont have to wallow in my lack of knowledge for much longer.....Thanks.

4. Murf

Murf

Mar 28, 2001
    Ireland
  5. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Slightly curve your lefthand fingers, so that they match the fingerboard radius and "pat" the strings with all of them simultaneously. You don't need much strength, it more a matter of momentum (that holds true for any slap technique).
    Using more than one or two fingers will avoid unwanted harmonics, curving the fingers will enable you to hit all strings at once, making the LH slap louder.

Mark King is one of the LH slap masters.

6. LifeSpitter

LifeSpitter Guest

Apr 6, 2002
    Bass Heaven
    I Kinda get it......

I mean,...is it muted when you slap with your left hand or is it a hammer on. Plus, when is htis used...

Im very curios....help me

7. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    It's a muted, percussive slap. No pitched note should sound. If you're hitting notes, you're not doing it right.

Don't worry if you don't pick it up right away. It requires a certain amount of practice to build up the necessary dexterity in the left hand to execute it cleanly. Too slow, and you don't get anything. Too hard, and you'll hit actual notes. What it has to be is *fast* and *light*. While you don't have to use all of your fingers to slap, it helps to use at least two. (You can use the remaining ones to fret notes.)

As far as application is concerned, you see it all the time in complex slapping patterns. For a while, you can get by using muted right hand techniques, but it's really a lot easier transferring some of those muted notes to the left hand.

For starters, try some drum rudiments, using alternating right hand and left hand muted slaps.

Paradiddles: LRLL RLRR LRLL RLRR
    Mills: LLRL RRLR LLRL RRLR

When you're comfortable with the rhythms, start throwing in some notes.

8. Bap Bap Battica

Bap Bap Battica

Apr 9, 2002
    AHH yes, good ol' Paradiddles.

9. I.'.I.'.Nakoa

I.'.I.'.Nakoa Guest

Aug 10, 2000
    Fort Worth.
    what is a paradiddle?!!!!

10. Christopher

Christopher

Apr 28, 2000
    New York, NY
    The paradiddle:

LRLL RLRR

A drum rudiment.

11. lpbassics

lpbassics Guest

Jan 26, 2002
    WI
    i believe "a certain shade of green" by incubus utilizes left hand slapping in the verse. if your into that music you might want to check it out.

12. cassanova

cassanova

Sep 4, 2000
    Florida

You want to kinda curve your fingers back a bit and strike the fretboard with the middle meaty portion of your fingers, when you strike the fretboard you want it to make a percussive sound. If you can hear individual notes then you're hitting it to hard.

I recomend practicing it all in triplette form.

right hand slap (trip ah)

left hand slap (let)

this will help you to develop coordination and speed as well learn how to left hand slap.

Stu Hamms instructional video Slap Pop and Tap for Electric bass gives a great in depth demonstration on how to learn all this. I highly recomend it. You'd have aural and visual aid so that you can hear and see exactly what you should do and how it should sound.