Left handed TBers that play right handed?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by BillSC, Sep 25, 2002.

1. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    I am left handed and play right. It seems very natural to me. Are there any others out there?
  2. Me! It only feels natural for me 'cause I have been playing the bass for only 22 years....I really wish I would have started out playing lefty..I couldn't find a lefthanded bass at the time.......I know I could have been a better player....My right hand techenique really lacks...being that I am a 100% lefty. I have tried to switch over to playing left handed, but it was slow going and I gave up...now I have like 9 basses and two double basses so I am not going to change over now!!!

3. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Well, I can sure understand. I played guitar for a good number of years right handed then switched to bass. My God, if I tried to play left handed, it would be a disaster!
  4. Lefty that plays righty here

Hey, Jimi was a righty that played lefty, if it's good enough for him, it's good enough for me.

Plus it's easier to get gear ;)
  5. tallguybcs...Hendricks was right handed but played lefty??..I thought he was a lefty that played a righty guitar strung lefty....:confused:
  6. That is true about the guitar, but he was right handed, it just made since to him to play if lefty.
  7. Woodchuck

Apr 21, 2000
    Atlanta / Macon (sigh)
    Gallien Krueger for the last 12 years!
    Another one here. Left hand basses just felt unnatural to me. I write and eat with my left hand, but that's about it. The Hendrix thing kind of shocked me when I saw the Electric Ladyland documentary, and saw him writing with his right hand.
  8. Lefty who plays righty. Feels more natural, and gear is easier to find, and cheaper.
  9. snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
  10. Samie

Dec 13, 2000
    Madrid, Spain
    That doesn´t mean much. He was probably force to write with the right!! back in the day it was like that.

I think that the left-hand/right-hand thing is got to do with how your brain is laid out, not just what hand you use to do things.

I doubt Hendrix was right-handed!!

My sister eats with the left but writes with the right.
  11. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Let's face it..we live in a right handed world. I re-learn that every time I pick a pair of scissors..smile
  12. I'm also a lefty that plays bass right handed.

When I first started to play guitar (I was given a right handed classical guitar) and realized there was a 'left' and a 'right' way (saw Paul McCartney) to play guitar, I flipped the strings, only to realize I was much more comfortable playing right handed. It took me months to get around to flipping them back.:)
  13. gbenner

May 20, 2001
    ocean, new jersey
    Im lefty, and I feel its more natural to play right handed. Playing righty, im using my stronger hand on the frets where it counts, I have much more dexterity this way. I feel right handed people are playing backwards :D ;)

14. Plucky

Jun 18, 2002
    im left but i play lefty, and besides the gear thingie that makes me sad everytime i look at a bass that i like, i think that at least for me my stronger hand is stronger, but not faster and agile, so it feels more natural to do just the plucking job, while my right hand feels more light but weak, but ill teach it to do the things my brain says (this sounds weiiiiird)
  15. I'm lefty and play righty. But is there really a righty/lefty way to play guitar/bass? I mean, I know there is a standard way, but you're using both hands either way you slice it, and both hands must have dexterity.

Think about just strumming chords on a guitar; wouldn't it seem easier for someone that has more dexterity in their left hand to play "righty", where the left hand does more? I think I'm on to something here.....
  16. Velocimaniac

Jun 14, 2002
    I was just the opposite. I'm a righty who started out playing lefty, because it really felt natural. Then I learned I was strung backwards and rather than switching the strings around I just started playing righty.
  17. malthumb

Mar 25, 2001
    The Motor City
    I write and eat left handed and do evertything else (including bassin') right handed.

My older brother is a pure lefty.

Funny thing is my oldest son is a pure lefty and my youngest son is like me.

18. im a lefty playing righty... i practice an aweful lot every day (probably 3-4 hours every day im home) and playing right handed is fine to me.. but i know that i could finger pluck like twice as fast with my left hand.. so sometimes i wish i had a lefty bass for those 32nd note speed metal songs
  19. BillSC

BillSC Guest

May 30, 2002
    Columbia, SC
    Malthumb...I am that same way. Glad to hear there is another out there...guess we would be the true definition of ambidextrous..
  20. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    Lefty playing right-handed.
    I'd already been learning classical violin right-handed, so I kept it that way when I switched to bass.