1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left handed to Right handed question!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Heroinsheep, Feb 4, 2018.

1. Heroinsheep

Heroinsheep

Oct 23, 2017
    Hi!
    I know I'm bad at searching but I can never find the thread although I know it's been discussed... so I open a ****in thread. sorry.

So a Hofner Violin Bass... (asking cuz it seems symetricall for all I can see). Is it possible to turn a left handed into a right handed?
    I know it's techincally possible but what are the... pros and cons for doing it... techincal issues that may arise?...

(I know nothing about guitar building and stuff...)

or is it just change the nut and get used to the knobs on top?

bonus question: can the pickguard be placed on the correct position (of a normal right handed) given this model has no current pickguard (like a reissue)

Thanks

Last edited: Feb 4, 2018
  2. GIBrat51

GIBrat51 Innocent as the day is long Supporting Member

Mar 5, 2013
    Lost Wages, Nevada
    Yes, it's possible. How much money do you want to spend? The cheap way would to be replace the nut; string it right handed; and play it "upside down". But, the controls might get in your way, and, that bridge isn't easily convertible. As it is, I'd bet money you'd never get it to intonate. You'd need a right-handed one, which is not too hard to come by. But, if you do convert it, let me know. A left handed Hofner bridge is hard to come by - very hard - and I'd put it to good use.
    If you wanted to spend the money and do it the "right" way, you could yank the whole top off; patch the existing hole for the controls; and cut a new one. And (maybe successfully) cover up the surgical scars... And, do the whole bridge/nut thing..
    The pick guard? Yes, a right handed one would fit on it fine. Just need to drill a hole or two.
    But, to he honest (and speaking as a lefty), it would be nice if you just left it alone, and sold it to a lefty who'd really like to have one. Lefty anythings aren't real available, and it would be a shame to make one of them disappear, when you can buy a righty almost anywhere...:)

Heavy Blue and Craig4003 like this.
  3. Slater

Slater Leave that thing alone. Supporting Member

Apr 17, 2000
    The Great Lakes State
    The easiest way is to convert the left handed into cash, and convert the cash into right handed. ;)

walldaja likes this.
  4. Heavy Blue

Heavy Blue

Nov 11, 2017
    Prairie Canada
    Find a lefty player and do some horse trading.