Left-handed upright on eBay?

Discussion in 'Basses [DB]' started by WildPotato, Nov 10, 2004.

1. WildPotato

Apr 27, 2004
    Hi. I was directed to this forum by another bass player in hopes that the infinite wisdom held within would somehow guide me in my quest for an double bass.

I'm a left-handed bass guitarist, have been for years. I'm currently a music major at Florida Atlantic University.

I need a double bass. They're kind of hard to find left-handed. At this point I'm looking at either special ordering an Engelhardt through Bob Gollihur, or buying this carved import from eBay. The store says it's a house brand they import from South Korea, touted its overall quality, etc.

Does anyone here know anything about these basses?

Please help.

2. excuse the ignorance (as of now my experience with double bass has been limited to 10 minute sessions with the crappy import in a local instrument store), but what makes a double bass left handed?
    i assume it goes beyond just reversing the order of the strings...
  3. hdiddy

hdiddy Official Forum Flunkee Supporting Member

Mar 16, 2004
    San Francisco, CA
    My guess is that if you switch the string order, the bassbar inside the bass is on the wrong side. THe bassbar needs to sit underneath the bass foot of the bridge, and the soundpost needs to be moved next to it to support everyting. Without the bassbar/soundpost, the bass might collapse in a bad way. Beyond that, the compound radius of the fingerboard, nut, and possibly bridge will cause more complications since they're all made for right handers.

Maybe learning to become ambidexterrous is alot easier than all that. :meh:
  4. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    Since you have bid on it I am sure it will be yours. That bass has been listed on eBay several time and not received any bids until now. Make sure Jim Laabs will take it back if there is a problem. Someone here on the forum received one of those basses damaged and had a hell of a time getting their money back. Just be prepared. They have little/no service after the sale. I have heard they sound OK and I believe I have played one at Southwest Strings in Tucson, AZ. It was not named the same but was from the same factory in Korea. It sounded fine.

5. WildPotato

Apr 27, 2004
    Thanks for the responses, folks. I found that it would be easier to just find a left-handed bass. If I got a righty and paid someone to convert it (bassbar, soundpost fingerboard, nut, bridge), the cost would probably run almost as high as a new bass.

I called the store before I bid and they assured me if there were any problems with shipping damage, they would take it back.

Azflyman: That bass you played in Tuscon, do you feel it would've been worth the price that this bass is going for on eBay? I'm about 99.73% sure I'm going to win this as I've seen it multiple times as well with no bids. There really is no market for left-handed string basses. I suppose I went with this one because I didn't want to wait for an Engelhardt to be special-ordered. I hope I've made the right decision.
  6. KSB - Ken Smith

KSB - Ken Smith Banned Commercial User

Mar 1, 2002
    Perkasie, PA USA
    Owner: Ken Smith Basses, Ltd.
    Looks like a decent Bass for the money. All carved with good fittings sounds like a deal for the price. Good luck with it...
  7. Be careful man. It looks TOO good to be true! :bag:
  8. WildPotato

Apr 27, 2004
    That's what I'm afraid of. At this point, if it's no good I'll just have to make the best of it.

Let's hope for the best, though. :cool:
  9. azflyman

Apr 24, 2004
    Astoria, OR
    The one I played in "Tucson" was a rental bass. They also had them for sale. I believe the bass was about 2K. It sounded very reasonable. I felt the workmanship on the bass I played left something to be desired. The corners had a noteable amount of wood filler or glue that had been finished over. Not much but enough to put me off.

I am not a fan of the Engelhardt/Kay sound so I think you are making a good choice (personal). Solid wood basses do take a bit more care than laminated. I purchased a laminated bass first for just that reason. I did not want to deal with the reapir issues. In Arizona the humidity can swing from 6% to 90% in a matter of hours.

On most instruments left handed is usually about a 10% upcharge. Most factories do not like to re-tool for small runs. They have jigs and fixtures set for a right handed world.

10. WildPotato

Apr 27, 2004
    Aye, a ply bass would probably hold up better, but this bass is going to be living in an air conditioned room. It's not going to be travelling very often.

I hear the strings that come on it are crap though. :|
  11. Don P

Don P

Jun 2, 2001
    I build, conver, and restore left handed string basses. Please call me at 410-444-9871. I have several at this time and can do a proper conversion on a new import for you.
  12. Hi Don,

I'm also very interested in buying a left handed string bass. I'll call you.

Where are you located? Do you have a web page or other additional info? Thanks.