Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

left handers playing right handed bass

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by mans0n, Jun 16, 2002.

1. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    hello! im left handed, i originally started playing guitar with a left handed model and it was great, had the natural feel i am used to. over the years i started to play friends/family right handed guitars... and i ended up liking how it felt A LOT to be using my left handed for fretting... i have grown now to only play a right handed bass, i feel its MORE natural and i have much more dextartity.... its my theory when learned.... playing the 'opposite' handed guitar would be better for anyone....... it was for me!

anyone else play the same way? or care to share ideas.... comments?

2. Yes, I too am a left-handed person and I've always played right-handed.

It simply made more sense to me to have my strong hand on the neck. This is especially so now that I play upright.

But don't forget that your "voice" truly comes from your right hand.

Not to mention that finding left handed instruments is a pain in the a**!

Although, on that subject, the best bassists I've ever met (Phil Mann) is a lefty and plays right-handed instruments, strung righty, he plays them upside down. So the low E is on the bottom.

I have a friend who's girlfriends son is a lefty bassist and used to play this way. He went out and bought this kid a lefty bass because "you could only get so good playing upside down". My friend is WRONG. Phil Mann; who does play upside down is truly awsome. And I think it contributes to his unique "voice".

3. mans0n

mans0n

Jun 15, 2002
    mmmm thanks for replying. its good to read of a lefty like mee...! none of my friends are left handed and they are amazed when they find out i play a right handed instrument..... for some reason

your point on the right hand being your 'voice' is well taken =) .... i wasnt really considering that tooo much

4. 72beetle

72beetle

Jun 10, 2001
    Phoenix, Arizona
    I am also left-handed, and play right-handed bass. I tried playing a lefty once on a lark, and it was a disaster - I can't fret for beans with my right hand, and it just felt wrong. All I got from the experience was a deeper admiration of bassists who play well, using their less dominant hand in such a skillful fashion.

5. I too am a lefty, who plays bass right handed. I thought that it would make sense for the left hand to take on the "delicate" task of fretting.

It has been agonizingly frustrating, however, to get my ring and little fingers to go along with this decision. My ring finger wants to do on what the middle finger is doing. The little finger too seems to have a mind of its own, and raises way too high off of the fretboard and strings. It's strange seemingly to have so little control over one's own body.

I've been ambidextrous my whole life, but segregated by activity. Throwing, punching, tennis/golf/baseball etc always right handed. Eating, writing, shooting (w/rifle of pool cue) always left (I think the latter two have something to do with my dominant left eye).

I constantly practice scales on both the fretboard and the keyboard to smooth out the left hand control, but it's a challenge. I guess seven months is too short a time period over which to judge, especially since the ring and little fingers of the left hand were asked to do so little for the first 37 years.

6. Carrillo

Carrillo

Mar 29, 2002
    Ontario, Canada
    Yup, I am left handed, playing a right handed, just as everyone else said, it makes sense.

And people wander why I can play so fast and precise... Simple, my strong and precise and fast hand is on the friggin fretboard, makes sense.

Maxwell murder :!!!!:)

7. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm a lefty and play right-handed too, and I found out there are quite a lot of pro players too, T.M. Stevens, Steve Morse (?), etc.

8. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    I'm a lefty whos plays right...

Too bad I don't play left.. my name is really Jimi Hendrix.. that would get some attention... :D

I guess i'd need to be black to really get attention for being a lefty named jimi Hendrix.. oh well

9. BlacksHole

BlacksHole

Mar 22, 2000
    Rockville, MD
    I'm a lefty playing righty too. SO is a guitarist in my band. I think it may make even more sense for a guitarist or any pick player.

10. eckerad

eckerad

Apr 23, 2002
    I myself am I righty who plays righty basses, but I turn my bass upside down all the time and mess around fretting with my right hand. It does feel much more natural especially because it's much easier to develop plucking/picking technique but much harder to develop the fretting hand dexterity. Who ever decided plucking was for the dominant hand anyway?

11. I'm also a lefty who plays right handed. I didn't put much thought into it... I was given an old right handed guitar so I just went with it. At one point I did try to play it left handed (flipped the strings) and I couldn't do a thing with it.

I once played in a band with two guitar players. The three of us were all left handed and played right handed.

12. I'm a lefty and I play right handed bass. For the same reason as I write with my right hand, no one told me it could be done with the other hand.

13. pumo420

pumo420

Nov 2, 2001
    illinois
    i went to a mike mangini drum clinic a couple of weeks in illinois hes a real cool guy. well he brought this up, when he was a teen he injured his right wrist and thats the wrist he lead with. so he practiced with his left hand and after is right wrist healed his technique got better and faster

well this got me thinking so i flipped my bass around and turned it into a left handed model and i have been playing left handed. but would this help or improve my right hand technique and does this apply every to instrument?

14. And another one.....
    I'm a lefty -and I couldn't imagine to play a bass for left-handed-persons!
    BUT, -I feel that my left hand is still the one that I use for leading a lot.... -and I'd be much faster playing 8th and 16th fingerstyle if I used it the other way round.
    I guess we all here wished we got two left hands... :)

15. ooh ooh, me me me! i too am a fellow lefty gone righty.

16. Same here. After creating a new thread I was directed to this one. Again, it also seems quite natural to me, however I wonder if that really has to do with what I learned first. My guess is that since lefties are known to be somewhat ambidextrous, playing a right handed guitar for a lefty is probably much easier than a righty playing a left handed guitar.

Or am I wrong and there are righties who play a left handed bass or guitar? (I don't see why there would be since like 90% of the instruments out there are "made for right handers.")

17. Adamb154

Adamb154 Guest

Nov 10, 2002
    ive never met a right hander who plays left, people who are left handed are more dominant in both hands.