Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Left Hnded converted to a right handed bassist...any one here?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Funky Tune, Apr 30, 2005.

1. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    I have this question,you play right handed basses but you are a left handed,this is my case,i learn right hand playing because i feel more comfortable,the basses are more inexpensively (almost in that time,8 years ago)and i learn the right handed playing too well,anyone here have the same situation?

2. Oliver

Oliver

Jun 21, 2003
    Perth, Australia
    Ok, well i write with my left but do everything else with my right, including bass, does that count?

3. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    ehhhh yes,,you born as a left handed but you play right handed,

4. dhadleyray

dhadleyray Guest

Dec 7, 2004
    I'm left handed, but learned to play right handed. I had been playing a righty bass turned upside down, and when I started taking lessons, he refused to teach me that way. I just flipped it over. That was 28 years ago. Sometimes, for a laugh, I flip it over mid set, just to freak out the audience.
    By the way, I'm sure John Pattitucci is left handed, but plays right.. :smug:

5. tekhna

tekhna

Nov 7, 2004
    I'd like to get a 4 string left-handed jazz and get a new nut and flip it right handed.

6. Kurt Hans

Kurt Hans

Mar 17, 2005
    Seattle
    i'm a lefty, but I play right.

7. canopener

canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Why? That would be extremely uncomfortable.

8. Yup, I'm left handed but it always felt more natural to play right handed.

9. I'm a lefty who plays righty.

10. write, eat and drink with left hand, everything else (including bass) right handed.

11. simpy1

simpy1

Mar 31, 2005
    New Zealand
    Sometimes when people get desperate trying to sell really nice left-handed basses here in NZ (so it gets cheap!) I get tempted to buy them and flip them over.

I'm a lefty who plays bass and golf right handed. But I'm terrible at golf so no one knows that...

I just think that it feels natural to play a right handed bass...the left hand is doing just as much (if not more) work than the right anyway!

12. I'm a lefty who plays right. I figured that I'd learn to play right handed because right handed basses were more accessable, and the only one I could learn on was a right hander.

13. Another lefty that plays righty here. Why? Just makes more sense to me, why not have my more dextrous hand be my fretting one?

14. Funky Tune

Funky Tune

Apr 28, 2005
    Puerto Rico
    interesting ,90% of the bassist here are lefty but they play right handed basses...... :bassist:

15. FireAarro

FireAarro

Aug 8, 2004
    austr-
    True, but it'd look cool! And you could wear an afro and play solo bass Hendrix covers! Nevermind the neck dive! :D :p

16. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Well, since you only asked about lefties who play righty, you only got that answer.
    If you asked "My southpaw fellows, with which hand do you play?", then you'd get answers from the rest of us, too.
    Like I'm lefty, and I play lefty, too. Though there are some things I can do better with my right hand. Anyway, for me, playing with my left hand came naturally, playing righty-style was very-very uncomfortable

And if you asked this in a guitar-playing crowd, you'd easily get over half or even two thirds saying "I'm lefty, but I play righty".
    Not to mention on classical instruments, where because of that limiting and unflexible conservativeness, almost all lefties play righty.

17. Lockout

Lockout

Dec 24, 2002
    Illinois
    +1 :D

18. Commreman

Commreman Faith, Family, Fitness, and Frets Supporting Member

Feb 12, 2005
    New Jersey
    Let's see. I'm a lefty that plays righty. I have equal miserable high (low?) scores bowling with either paw. I play tennis/racquetball righty. In soccer, I'm mostly lefty. I write and eat with my left hand. Baseball/softball, I'm righty. So I guesss its hard to say what I am in a classical sense. I tend to do what is most comfortable for me.

19. Mojo-Man

Mojo-Man Supporting Member

Feb 11, 2003
    :cool:
    Me too.
    My first bass was a gibson eb-O.
    I played it upside-down.
    After a year,I went to take a lesson and teacher said turn that bass around.
    Never played left handed again.

20. Trevorus

Trevorus

Oct 18, 2002
    Urbana, IL
    I am a lefty that plays righty as well.