Left or right?

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by JMX, Mar 25, 2001.

1. Right-handed, play right-handed, use right-handed tuning (E-A-D-G)

202 vote(s)
  2. Right-handed, play right-handed, use left-hand tuning (G-D-A-E) -> tuned upside down

2 vote(s)
  3. Right-handed, play left-handed, use right-hand bass tuning -> tuned upside down

0 vote(s)
  4. Right-handed, play left-handed,use left-hand bass tuning

1 vote(s)
  5. Left-handed, play left-handed, use left-hand bass tuning

26 vote(s)
  6. Left-handed, play left-handed, use right-hand bass tuning -> tuned upside down

2 vote(s)
  7. Left-handed, play right-handed, use right-hand bass tuning

59 vote(s)
  8. Other :D (shouldn't get any votes - hope I covered everything...)

15 vote(s)
  1. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I'm a lefty who plays right-handed, and I met some people on the Musikmesse in Frankfurt during the years who play the same way (T.M. Stevens among others).
    How about you? (I hope I get things right with this poll thingy)
  2. righty, righty, righty for me.....

...and i always thought the old lead guitarist in my old band was weird cause he was right handed but played left handed.
  3. Lefty-play right. out of 5 people in my band 3 are lefties. me. brummer, perc/drummer. I met a lot of player who are lefty playing right
  4. Mike N

Mike N Missing the old TB

Jan 28, 2001
    New York
    Left handed,play right handed.
  5. I'm also left handed but play bass right handed. At one point I was in a band with two guitar players (one also sang lead) and they were both lefties who played guitar right handed.
  6. Nino Valenti

Nino Valenti Supporting Member Commercial User

Feb 2, 2001
    Staten Island NYC
    Builder: Valenti Basses
    I do everything righthanded except when playing hockey.
  7. Erlendur Már

Erlendur Már

May 24, 2000
    I am rite handed....but P-Nut is left handed I think:)
  8. Well, technically, what you have posted as "left hand tuning" is 'proper', as in the G is the 1st trings, the D is the 2nd etc.
    But...ummm...yeah. I still voted for 'right hand tuning'. :p
  9. I play 2nd right handed with center hand tunning on a first left hand bass.

You know

G, B, D, E, A

Makes reading tabs a little harder, though.:D:D

Rock on
  10. Ty McNeely

Ty McNeely

Mar 27, 2000
    It seems to me like the reason for all the lefty-play-righty is because there is a shortage of left-handed guitars and basses. You CAN get them, but they are more expensive it seems like, and very few and far between.

FWIW, I'm a righty-play-righty and I use standard tuning except that I tune my B down a half step (Bb, E, A, D, G)
  11. JMX

JMX Vorsprung durch Technik

Sep 4, 2000
    Cologne, Germany
    I play right-handed because my first instrument was classical violin, which is taught right-handed only. But most left-handed people play right-handed because they couldn't find a lefthand instrument or learned from a right-hander.
  12. damn! I was the 3rd person for "other"... ;)

I play right handed with right handed tuning (wait, that WAS an option... goodamnit!) :)

the guitarist/singer in my band is lefty but plays righty (actually does most stuff righty, except writing... and maybe some other stuff that I DON´T want to know about! :eek: )
  13. Huna Funk

Huna Funk

Dec 5, 2000
    I'm right handed but I play bass lefty. It felt more natural for me since the first time I ever picked up a bass. Kinda wish I was righty though, it would be nice to be able to walk into a local music shop and actually play something.....
  14. fisk

Jan 3, 2001
    Indianapolis, IN
    I'm a righty. I heard an interview on a radio show one time with a bass player (years ago and dont remember who it was) who is a lefty, and plays left, but with a standard right handed bass. That means the strings are upside down from what were used to. I suppose if you start out that way, you could learn almost anything, but i'd hate to changed to something like that now. Hey wait, I dont have to, mine is fine just the way it is.

15. rickbass

rickbass Supporting Member

Surprised there are so many of we left-handers, playing right-handed, using left-handed tuning! I thought I'd be in rare air.
  16. Your probably right, but that wasn't the case with me. I started on an old classical guitar and didn't really know there was a right and left handed way of playing. I was playing for less then a month and saw that Paul McCartney played his bass left handed. I though this looked pretty cool and since I was left handed, I probably would have an easier time learning to play guitar anyway, so I reversed the strings on my guitar. As it turned out I couldn't play it at all left handed. I was only a kid at the time and it had taken so much energy switching the strings, I ended up quitting because I didn't want have to take the time to switch the strings back. It wasn't until months later that I picked the guitar back up, but I realized the only way I was going to learn it was right handed.
  17. =^..^=

Jan 25, 2001
    Stuck on a rock !
    My bass mentor was a "Left-handed, play left-handed, use right-hand bass tuning -> tuned upside down" for both bass and guitar, but he played string bass as a right hander.

It sure made it easy when he borrowed my bass - I just put another strap button on the lower horn and off he went !
  18. jazzbo

Aug 25, 2000
    San Francisco, CA
    Sorry, I know I'm a little late with this one, but it looks more like TECHNIQUE.

19. Yvon

Yvon Supporting Member

Nov 2, 2000
    Montreal, Canada
    I'm right handed playing right handed, but there is a bass player here, Sylvain Bolduc, he is right handed but he play left. He is the only one I even seen like this.