1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Left Pinky Lock Up Problems

Discussion in 'Technique [BG]' started by BassChase, Mar 1, 2008.

1. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    Hello!
    So I've been playing bass for three years now. I have been an active user of my left pinky and it has always been a strong asset. Recently I hurt my pinky playing football and playing was very painful. I took a break for a few weeks to let it heal, but when I began playing again it was still hurting alot. So I waited a few more weeks, now I can play with it.

Now the problem is that when I push down a string with said pinky, it locks up. The first knuckle will go completely flat, forcing me to bend the second knuckle in an unnatural way.

What should I do?
    I also recently switched to six string bass right before I hurt the pinky. Your thoughts?

2. yugo

yugo

Mar 28, 2006
    i have a similar problem but i never hurt my pinky, it has always been like that...i also play six string bass...hmmm

3. FretlessArt

FretlessArt

Jan 24, 2007
    Connecticut
    The problem is with your tendons. Do you have pain in your wrist, forearm top near elbow, shoulder, or Peck minor?

4. funkymonk77

funkymonk77

Jan 21, 2008
    find the least amount of pressure you need for that string and practice that... sometimes when i get excited i play too hard and i get the same result, and if your playing a six string or a bass with awkward balance( thumb) it gets worse

5. the_fonz

the_fonz

Nov 27, 2006
    Kane, PA
    I have this same problem
    Except i've never injured my pinky, and i've never had any pain in that hand while playing.
    a perplexing conundrum to say the least

6. BassChase

BassChase

Nov 22, 2006
    i have been having wrist pain. it seems common to me. everytime i play for a few hours at a time my wrist will hurt for days. i usually just stop playing for a couple days until the pain goes away.

7. Scot

Scot

Mar 20, 2004
    Pacifica, CA, USA
    That doesn't sound good. See a doctor about it.