1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Leftie playing a right hand bass questions

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by RPeters, Mar 24, 2009.

1. RPeters

RPeters

Mar 24, 2009
    I'm a left handed player, as cursed as I may be, but I was lucky enough to be left with a great precision bass from my brother. Unfortunately, it's right handed. Here's some questions...

-The guitar doesn't look built for reverse tuning. Keep in mind this is a US made P Bass.
    http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/shop_image/product/a91729f07be4efd8282ecf8b20ce477c.jpg
    Your thoughts?

-What should I keep in mind as far as technique goes? It doesn't feel natural and I can't play at all when I try to rest my thumb on the pickup.

Overall, I'm just looking for some general advice :meh:

2. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm left handed and just play right handed. It worked well for me. I found that starting out my fretting hand was a quicker learner than my plucking hand. This is partly due to my negligence to work on playing with fingers a lot back when I started and possibly also being left handed... To this day I still prefer a pick but that's besides the point.

I tried learning left handed (after already playing right handed). For this I strung the bass like a left handed bass. I think you'd be putting yourself as a disadvantage by playing strictly upside down. If you're going to play lefty, I'd string it lefty (you might have to file the nut... I did) and then get some cash together and get a true left handed bass.

There are great players who play upside down, I just feel like it might be an unnecessary hurdle you'd be able to avoid by deciding to play strictly left handed or right handed.

I'm sure a bunch of our other lefties here can throw in some great insight too. :D