Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lefties Unite

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Shearstown, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I am yet to know all the technical aspects of the bass but I am learning. But there is one thing I know all too well. The pains of being a left handed bassist. A good lefty bass is harder to find than a white Rhino around here. Sure I can order ones from the store. But I'm a fan of being able to play the bass. Turning it upside down doesn't allow me to try out the bass as I would like to. But what other pains have you guys experienced? I have bought a set of strings to find that the top string won't fit because it's a right handed bridge on a left handed bass. Also I will probably have to order a special pickguard for my new bass, and a special case. What ressources do you guys use that can take care of us left handed players.

2. furiously funky

furiously funky Guest

Dec 28, 2002
    Toronto
    well,
    this may be a poorly received idea, but what about just switching?
    i made a concious choice to play right bass as a left for a few reasons.
    Thoes reasons were that i wouldnt have to worry about all that kind of stuff, i already played violin right handed, and it just makes more sense to me.
    it seems to me as though the righties have it backwards! my left hand is my fingering hand and it is my most dexterous. this makes more sense to me than "waisting" my natuaral pre existing dexterity on the plucking part of bass playing where i am in basically a fixed position

Do you have a specific reason for playing left handed?

3. ebladeboi123

ebladeboi123

Jul 11, 2005
    Oberlin, Oh
    Just buy a real high end bass thats a lefty (like a roscoe) and you won't have to worry about liking it, you WILL love it.

4. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Because my right hand was made for fretting. It just feels like it. I can't play any other way. I don't see how anyone can play right handed basses. I'm actually right handed but play a leftie. (But of course I know why people play right. It feels the same way that I do with my left).

5. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Welcome to reality. It has been a painful and expensive road for me, but with time i have been able to test over 30 lefty basses and settled for a few (right now I have a 5-24 Sadowsky, a BSR-M 5 Smith, an old Yamaha RBX350 and a Yamaha BB 5-string -- and I'm as happy as I could be.)

The most painful thing is of course not being able to walk into any music store and try any bass. In the last 10 years, I have either bought wahtever is available and try it (mail/internet order) and Ebay. But like Ebay is tricky and you really should know what you are buying. For the most part, I have been able to buy, try and resell without losing much money. But a few times I have taken a hit when reselling.

Like I said, if you are starting and don't want to risk buying from Ebay, then I suggest buying from the following, which are readily available:

1-Mexican Fender Jazz (Fender is also making USA Jazzes and P-basses right now. )
    2-Anything from www.rondomusic.com
    3-Any lefty Yamaha (the new BB series is about to be available in left-handed.) but older models are great.
    4-Any Ernie Ball / Musicman bass.

For sources, visit:

www.music123.com
    www.drumcityguitarland.com
    www.musiciansfriend.com
    www.basscentral.com

For parts, www.warmoth.com makes a lot of parts in lefty.

These are just a few general tips. Hope it helps.

After all, it is much better than it used to be. Some brands are discontinuing left-handed models, but there are still a lot more models/brands to choose from than before, in all price ranges.

And then, of course, there are all the custom-made brands that will make you anything you want.

There is not need for lefties to play an upside bass any more.

6. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    I'm in the process of getting a fender mim jazz at the moment.

7. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    Well, I think everybody will agree that a Mexican Fender is an excellent choice as a first bass (or as a permanent bass too!).

8. Shearstown

Shearstown

Oct 15, 2005
    Actually it's a second bass. I've been playing for three years. So I kinda know what I'm looking for playability wise. And the jazz seems to fit that.

9. MarztekMilita

MarztekMilita

Feb 10, 2005
    Pinole
    Being a lefty is tough, ive been playing for almost 2 years, coming up in X-mas. right now i have two basses, an Ibanez that was originaly strung right. got that changed about 2 weeks after trying to play "right", and i am so glad that i did. my second bass is a rouge, and it is my main bass right now. after the holidays i am probably going to get a Brice 6-string. fairly cheap and looks sweet. But yaeh, its tough being the creative side of the world. how much is the mim jazz.

P.S.
    a will ago I started a thread tilteled, "leftys of the world unite", great minds do think alike i suppose.
    PEACE! :bassist:

10. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    I play lefty strung righty, so the only problem I have with a right handed bass is the control knobs, cord( hate that), and the strap getting in the way of getting to higher notes.I had been playing about 3 years and traded a 73 jazz for a brand new Ibanez roadstar( 1985 ), It was the only left handed bass there and it was only 365.00. Who got the better deal? LOL!! He was nice enough to put in a right handed nut and a bridge. I love and still love the neck on that bass. I eventually replaced the bridge with a badass bridge and had some active emg PJ pups installed. great sounding bass, love that thin jazz like maple neck too. I now play an Alembic Epic 5 string. Still lefty strung righty and I just got pics of my new Lecompte VB5 fretless from Bud Lecompte that was finished today.Still lefty strung righty!!LOL funny when I do find a left handed bass at a store and cant really play it wit the strings strung that way. LOL!! I am sure that you can get a really good deal from some of the builders out there. Bud Lecompte would get my vote anyday. get them while ya can. The waiting list will get longer in the future, but worth it.And you can get a really nice custom left handed bass that will be way better than what you might find at the stores. Good luck to you and dont sweat it. "Wait and it will come"!

11. Bassmonk3y

Bassmonk3y

Sep 19, 2005
    Tacoma, Wa
    Hey, same deal here, JJ! I play a righty bass strung righty, but in the style and position of a lefty bass. Every time I walk into a music shop and sit down with a left handed bass I have the same reaction! "oh you people are SICK!!" hehehe...
    I've been playing righty basses for long enough now that I don't think I'll ever even bother getting a custom lefty... I love the shape of a righty bass inverted...It looks unconventional and cool!

Slapping and tapping are a trip too.. definitely some unique sounding stuff!!

If you're a left hander, and you're looking to start playing bass, try it invert-style! you never know, you may be surprised and pleased with the configuration.. I know I am! :D

12. I see this a lot.

But this next one is just over the top:

And that's from a righty?!

My advice. Come out of bizarro-world and play what you are. If you are lefty, play lefty. If you are righty, play righty. If you're a mixed up lefty playing righty for a superficial reason such as a particular bass you like the idea of is not available in lefty then realize you're going against the grain of your natural potential. If you're a closet-righty playing lefty then I'd suggest therapy.

But whoever you are, whatever you are, wherever you are, if you're a lefty please, please, do not make the decision against playing lefty because of instrument selection.

13. jimb213

jimb213

Nov 2, 2005
    Austin, TX
    Southpaw Guitars

for all your lefty instrument needs.

Bass Central is pretty good, too. I got my lefty thumb-5 from them, and they were really easy to work with, and extremely friendly.

14. Basshole

Basshole Banned

Jan 28, 2005
    People just adapt.

Now, is that fair? No. How you choose to deal with it, however, is an opportunity to be unique.

You can just learn to play "righty" as Steve Morse (Dixie Dregs, Kansas) has, or you can turn a righty instrument upside down and just play it, like Jimmy Haslip.

You can of course, take advantage of the various lefty basses available, but the fact is that having adapted unconventionally to a means of playing did not harm the careers of the above mentioned gentleman, and probably won't kill you.

As I see it, being left handed makes you consider your options in a way that a right handed player may never have.

This is, of course, very easy for me to say...I'm righty.

15. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    I play lefty because I have no choice. I'm sure there are others out there. I would rather play righty, but that would be impossible.

To you fellow lefties - I may put my Warwick/Kremple on sale! :D 6/5 string bass....

;)

16. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    JJBACOOMBA, did you ever get my PM?

17. JJBACOOMBA

JJBACOOMBA Commercial User

May 31, 2005
    San Antonio, Texas
    Lecompte Bass Owners Club Member #2
    Sorry Carlos. I will respond. yes I got it. Thanks!!

18. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    PM returned.. :)

19. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    One more lefty here...
    Yeah, finding a lefty in a store expecially here is a PITA. :(

20. QU!CK

QU!CK

Apr 26, 2005
    Charlotte, NC

Wow, and I thought I was the only one here that did that! I'm also a right-hander that plays southpaw :hyper:

Someone has already mentioned this but you should just buy a "top end" bass and be done with it. The bad part about being a lefty is not being able to truly test 99% of the basses in guitar shops. Plus, you'll most likely want to upgrade and we all know that most lefties come with a modest *cough* upcharge :rollno:

Thus far I've bought 3 lefties and still have two of them. After seeing how low the resale value on these things are, I will never again buy any low-mid range bass...next stop, Smithtown or Bongoville. :smug:

-J