1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

lefties who play right

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tbird99, Jul 27, 2012.

1. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    I'm left handed oddly the only thing I do right handed is play bass , everything else I do left handed any one else like this , also i dont do this because right handed basses are easier to find I just feel more comfortable right handed also do you guys think I should make this a club? If so then say so if any ways to be in this club then ill make it into one

2. I'm the same way. When I started playing guitar as a kid I didn't know there was a left handed way to play. Then I stopped playing for a couple years and then picked up bass to play in a band where I was borrowing my friend's right handed bass for a while. It just feels natural. I'm amedestric at most other things because I'm usually introduced to them by right handed people using right handed equipment. Then, if I end up sticking with whatever sport/activity/etc it is I'll usually switch to doing it left handed if it feels better. Although that isn't the case with bass.

3. majortoby

majortoby

Jul 2, 2009
    Tampa, Fl USA
    It's already a club, lol.....but yeah, I'm the same way. Left-handed, play righty. As you guys said, when it came down to how an instrument felt in my hands, right-handed instruments just seemed like the natural, logical choice.

4. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    LOL Hi guys. I'm a lefty but here's the odd thing. For the first 10 years I played, I played right handed basses left handed, and never turned the strings around. So my low E string is on the bottom! I started on guitar many years before that, playing rhythm, and it just felt natural to me to play left handed. But, my lefty basses are strung righty! Go figure... another goofy lefty bass player....:bassist:

5. tbird99

tbird99

Jun 29, 2012
    Dalton, Ga
    Do you guys think its because your fretting hand is your left hand or what and yes I'm amedestric at most things I can write with both hands and I can play guitar hero both ways hehe so is that club just called lefties who play right or what

6. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    My brother will join your club. He's a lefty but somewhat ambidextrous. I gave him his first bass lessons on my basses. We never thought to turn it around for him. It takes two hands to play the bass, does it matter which does what?

7. alaskaleftybass

alaskaleftybass Will Hanbury, Jr. Supporting Member

Mar 21, 2012
    Sitka, Alaska
    To me it's so odd.... it just felt natural to grab the neck with my right hand, and strum with my left. Now I wish I had bought a left handed guitar from the beginning, even when I buy a left handed guitar or bass, I have to buy a righty nut, install it, and restring. I guess we should set up basses anyway..

8. gigslut

gigslut

Dec 13, 2011
    St Louis, Mo
    When you think about it. they way most people play, the "weak" hand is doing the hard work, fretting notes all over the neck, crossing strings and spanning frets, while the dominant hand pretty much stays in place and plucks.

9. MarkoYYZ

MarkoYYZ Commercial User

Jan 31, 2012
    Toronto
    Hammersmith Music
    I'm hearing Cream's "Politician" in my head...

I support the left, though I'm leaning, leaning, leaning to the right

10. Rip Topaz

Rip Topaz

Aug 12, 2005
    Willow Street, PA
    Beta tester for Positive Grid
    I'm a leftie that plays right.

I come from the time when schools tried to discourage being left-handed. If say it worked, because at 42, the only thing I do leftie anymore is writing.

11. Play classical guitar for a while. You'll figure out why the dominant hand is used the way it is. Touch is everything, same as with bass.

That said, the most talented guy I ever played with is a lefty who plays every instrument righty, and he has killer dynamics. I guess it all comes down to practice and feel, regardless of which job the dominant hand is doing.

12. I'm only 32, but a nun still tried to switch my writing hand. :eyebrow:

When I started on guitar, it was prior to everyone having the internet. My local shop was more than willing to order any available lefty instruments, but they had to be paid in full prior to ordering, no returns other than manufacturer defects, and no trades. Since I had no idea if I'd even like it, I chose the path of least resistance. Just as well since many of the guitars and basses I grew to love were never released as leftys. This is unfortunate, but the way it is.

From what I remember about starting out, the guitar felt really awkward lefty or righty. With my left hand having a little more dexterity, it seemed to suit me alright.

13. I used to play classical. I never felt that having my dominant hand switched to fretting was a disadvantage. Good technique takes a lot of practice and patience. No clue if I would have been faster if I had switched. I can't go back in time.

14. Matches

Matches

Mar 17, 2012
    Portland, Or
    My Mom, who is also left handed bought an acoustic guitar strung right handed and just learned to play that way. When I used that same guitar to take lessons, I just followed suit. It just feels more natural to me to play right handed instruments.

15. WavyGravy

WavyGravy

Jun 11, 2012
    Brooklyn, NY
    I'm a lefty at everything I do, but I play bass regularly. I never understood why people decide that they need left handed instruments anyways, in the end you learn the same way...

16. I'd guess more where you came from, not when. I'm 40 and left-handed and was never discouraged. I remember the green-handled scissors in elementary school, too.

17. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

I also am a lefty who plays right. All my friends played right, so when I picked up their guitar it seemed normal, didn't know there was lefty until years after I was playing.

I tried a left once years ago, it was super confusing.

And yes, there is already a club, so this thread is fairly redundant.

18. Hapa

Hapa

Apr 21, 2011
    Tustin, CA
    If you guys haven't seen him play. Dwayne "MONO-NEON" Thomas Jr. is a lefty bassist that plays upside down like Jimmy: Hendrix and Haslip.

19. Phendyr_Loon

Phendyr_Loon

Sep 4, 2010
    I'm a lefty too, and as some lefties the right handed guitar just felt more natural. Growing up and being around friends who played right handed guitars, I just kind of picked up on how they played and never really attempted a lefty instrument.
    Oddly enough I do everything righty besides eat, write, and throw.

20. Yeah, I hear ya. It's just the idea of tremolo picking with my weak hand that's scary (and probably the reason the instrument was designed the way it was). :)

There really is no substitute for practice and patience, for sure, regardless of which handedness you decide to learn with.