1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lefty 12 string bass bridge

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by BadComrade, Apr 30, 2006.

1. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Does anyone know if there is someone out there that makes a left handed 12 string bass bridge? I contacted Schaller, and they only make / made a right handed 12 string bridge.

I'm thinking my "worst case scenario" will be a custom fabricated tailpiece, and a modified "tunematic" / "tune-o-matic" style bridge if I can't find a pre-fabricated bridge. I really doubt someone like Hamer would sell me one, and I've never really seen their bridges up close (believe it or not...), so I'm not even sure that I'd want one...

Thanks for reading :)

2. NJL

NJL

Apr 12, 2002
    San Antonio
    Fellow lefty here...

Try hipshot! These guys are totally great! Good luck...

:)

3. Greenman

Greenman

Dec 17, 2005
    Ontario Canada
  4. Mark Wilson

Mark Wilson Supporting Member

Jan 12, 2005
    Toronto, Ontario
    Endorsing Artist: Elixir® Strings
    Can't you just buy a righty and switch the saddles?

-Mark

5. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    If you were to switch the saddles around, then the octave strings would wind up -under- the bass string, which I don't want.

I'll check out that ETS company, thanks!

6. vinny

vinny

Apr 3, 2006
    Las Vegas, NV.
    If you don't come up with another answer, get ahold of me. I might be able to do something re; saddles.

7. Tiny Tim

Tiny Tim

Jul 8, 2002
    Salem, Oregon
    I have one of those bridges sitting in front of me (shaller 8string bridge), they should work for left hand, the spacing is the same on all the saddles. You would just need to change the gross intonation bolts that hold the saddles to the base as some are shorter than the others. The bridge comes unslotted so you can set it up any way you want, octaves on top or bottom. hope that helps. Tim

8. ehque

ehque

Jan 8, 2006
    Singapore
    id go with the ets, email them and they'll send you a catalog. they pretty much will custom anything you want, they did JP's 12 string multiscale bass bridge (tho this 12 string was a single course)

9. BadComrade

BadComrade

May 18, 2005
    Chicago
    Oh wow... I wasn't aware that a new Schaller bridge came with no slots for the string in it. I figured it'd be more of a "plug and play" kind of thing... If that's the case, then the 12 string bridge would be "universal" in the sense that it would have no slots for strings?