Lefty 250k log pots

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by gunai, Sep 20, 2018.

  1. gunai


    Dec 22, 2016

    I've been looking into 'fixing' my lefty G&L SB-1 which comes with audio taper pots wired in reverse, effectively making both the volume and tone function more as on/off switches rather than them allowing me to utilize the breadth of tonal options this bass has.

    I'm considering simply wiring them right handed, but I'd prefer having the appropriate orientation.

    Are there any pots in existence other than the Allparts CTS ones?
  2. Crater


    Oct 12, 2011
    Dallas, TX area
    There is such a thing as "reverse log" pots. I believe the 'type code' for reverse audio taper is "C".
    gunai and SteveCS like this.
  3. SteveCS


    Nov 19, 2014
    Hampshire, UK
    Another moniker is 'antilog' or 'inverse log', but yes, the code is 'C'.
    gunai likes this.
  4. Passinwind

    Passinwind I know nothing. Commercial User

    Dec 3, 2003
    Columbia River Gorge, WA.
    Owner/Designer &Toaster Tech Passinwind Electronics
    PDB181-GTR01-254C2 Bourns | Mouser
    gunai likes this.
  5. Killed_by_Death

    Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

    Upgrade that sucker with some 500K Ohm pots.
    I'm bewildered that G&L uses 250K Ohm pots, even on the L-2000.
    Just guessing it's a leftover habit from Fender.

    I'd also get a linear taper for volume. Those don't need to be lefty:

    gunai likes this.
  6. gunai


    Dec 22, 2016
    Cheers people.

    Turns out there are pots by Bourns (as kindly linked) and Alpha and not just CTS after all.
    I did consider 500K, but for the time being I'd rather see how the bass behaves 'stock' before deciding on the need for any real modifications.
    Killed_by_Death likes this.
  7. Killed_by_Death

    Killed_by_Death Snaggletooth Inactive

    If you have 500K Ohm pots in there & want to hear what it sounds like stock, you roll the treble cut pot back 30%.