Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

lefty 5-string fretless for less than an arm and a leg?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Toe-mas, Apr 24, 2004.

1. Toe-mas

Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    Hi folks, this is my first message after a while lurking, and I must say this forum is amazingly helpful. Wow!

Anyway, I've found myself in the market for a left handed 5-string fretless on a 35' scale, but I'm poor. I've done a bit of research, but all of what I can find is pretty high end, and I was just wondering if anybody had any useful suggestions regarding what I'm looking for. I realize this is just about the most difficult situation I could put myself in, but I have my heart set on it. So, any comments would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Toe-mas

2. Bass of Galt

Bass of Galt Guest

Mar 25, 2004
    Scrotillia Falls
    Check into Carvin

http://www.carvin.com/products/guitar.php?ItemNumber=B5

under 700 new

Right now the extras are 50% off.

I own 2 Carvins - fretted and fretless - and they're great basses to cut your teeth on and they're a good value in the price to features ratio. They don't charge extra for lefty OR fretless.

Do yourself a favor - get the fretlines. There are people who will say it's not "cool" - ignore them. Your mission is to get the baddest sounds to come out of the speaker. Having lines gets you into enjoying and experimenting with the subtlties of the instrument faster cuz you don't have to spend every second your playing making sure your intonation is on.

Once you learn you can move to unlined and look cool with the other bassists. It's one thing to have a bass that looks hard to play (how do you know where to put your fingers?) it's another thing to have a bass that SOUNDS hard to play cuz you can't hit the notes.

Other than that - look on e-bay for used lefty basses. If nothing else it'll give you and idea of what's out there.

I'd be careful about buying a used low end instrument on e-bay though - the money you save could cost you from owning a bass that's comfortable to play. If it's not comfortable you won't play it and you've wasted your money.

Good luck - make sure to report back on what you end up getting.

3. Toe-mas

Toe-mas

Apr 24, 2004
    St Louis, MO
    I've heard a few bad things about Carvin's necks needing adjustment all the time...how do your's hold up? I looked into Carvin but I admit I was scared off a bit by what I read about the quality of the necks. I certainly haven't found a better, cheaper semi-custom shop yet though, and I'm definately considering it. Heh, at least until I have the money for a Warwick Thumb or a Modulus or somesuch, whenever that mystical date may arrive.

Thanks for the input!

Toe-mas