1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

TalkBass.com has been uniting the low end since 1998.  Join us! :)

Lefty Bass player

Discussion in 'General Instruction [BG]' started by Suzi72, Sep 27, 2008.

1. Suzi72

Suzi72

Sep 27, 2008
    Any insight on learning left handed? I'm a lefty and just starting out. I wondered if I need any special learning techniques or will a typical bass training be sufficient.

Thanks,
    Suzi

2. Deacon_Blues

Deacon_Blues

Feb 11, 2007
    Finland
    No, you will not need any special learning techniques except from that you will have to mirror every scale diagram or so that you will see. I don't know if there's any education material made exclusively for lefties.

By the way, try both left and right handed basses unless you have purchased a lefty already. There's a lot of lefties playing right handed basses here on this forum, myself included. Anyway, there's pros and cons with both. Do a search here on TB, there have been a million threads on left vs right already. :)

3. Slax

Slax

Nov 5, 2007
    Long Island, NY
    I'm a left handed person playing right handed. (When I started, I couldn't afford a left handed bass). I feel it's helped my fretting hand but my plucking hand was slower to become useful. lol.

I'm not sure if there's special left handed bass playing instructions around... I haven't really checked. I think standard stuff should be fine. Notes are notes, technique is the same, rhythm is rhythm, etc.

A teacher would probably make this easier for you though.

4. mrokern

mrokern TB's resident Rush freak

Jul 20, 2007
    Minneapolis, MN
    I'm a lefty playing...well...lefty. You'll get the hang of re-doing the diagrams in your head pretty quickly. Of course, if you learn to just read the music it won't be an issue at all...;)

It can actually make things a little easier for you if you're watching someone play...it's like looking into a mirror.

Play whichever way you are comfortable. I can't play righty to save my life, but give me a lefty and it feels perfectly natural.

-Mark

5. Suzi72

Suzi72

Sep 27, 2008
    Thanks for your input!

6. slybass3000

slybass3000 Banned

Nov 5, 2004
    Montréal,Qc,Canada
    I'm a lefty and I teach a lot.
    One of the thing that is helpful is the fact that when I play in front of the student it give the mirror effect which is very practical for the teacher AND the student.

So, find yourself a right-hand teacher which shouldn't be too hard LOL

Sylvain

7. EADG mx

EADG mx

Jul 4, 2005
    I love being lefty for this reason. And the fact that no one can play my instruments. :)

If you want to learn righty you can (I've seen it done), but I don't necessarily advocate it. I maintain that the best way to learn is the most comfortable.