Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lefty basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 87octane_, Jul 18, 2001.

1. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    I'm having a hard time finding the bass I want. When I do find a bass I absolutely love, I remember that since I'm left-handed, it has to be, also. So that fun little fact just blows my plans to crap.
    I need a 5 string with tons of growl in it's sound and a nice slap tone for around a 1000 or less. Right now, I have a Mexican-made Fender Jazz bass. It would be alright, except for the fact that I don't like the tone i get from it at all..lol. I'd like something with active electronics, too.
    If anyone has any ideas, help me out here.

2. snyderz

snyderz

Aug 20, 2000
    AZ mountains
    Hi 87 octane, and welcome to TB. I'm a lefty that plays righty, so I don't have your dilemma. There are about 30 lefty basses listed on www.basscentral (type in southpaw) right now, but only a few under $1000. They have a number of Stingray 5's that would fit your needs for some growl, but you'll need to save up a little more scratch to get one. Good luck, and let us know if you find a lefty fiver that you like.
    Doc

3. Zirc

Zirc

May 13, 2001
    Los Angeles
    I know how you feel octane. Along with www.basscentral.com, try www.southpawguitars.com

Personally, I got my Carvin Lefty 5 string from a guy who lives about 2 hours from me. I'm pretty happy with it.

Wish you luck with the search!

4. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Do you like your Carvin a lot? I was kinda leaning toward an lb-75, but no one around here has any carvins that i can play or hear, so i have no idea what they sound like.
    Come to think of it, the music shop here doesn't have a whole lot of basses other than fenders and deans.

5. JPAmorim

JPAmorim

Jul 17, 2001
    Rio de Janeiro
    Hi octane!!!

If you can save a little more, a Stingray would be perfect.

I am lefty too, i know how it feels!!!!

i was lucky enough to find one 4 string stingray
    here in Brazil.

go for it!!!! You will feel de diference!!!!

Peace

JP

6. Only about $200 more, if you do it right. I got my Lefty Stingray 5 for $1200 - including tax. I just went to a music store that was an Ernie Ball dealer and said I wanted to order a SR5. The guy took my order and said it was $1200, and that he could adjust it 'if I'd like' to get it to come out to that with tax! The righty models in the shop were priced at $1350 + tax! I didn't have to do anything, except wait 3 months for the bass. But it was well worth the wait - I was able to get the finish and fingerboard I wanted instead of being limited to what was in the store.

7. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    So how would the SR5 compare with the Carvin LB75 for what I want for a bass?
    Do any of Ibanez's BTB series come left-handed, by any chance? I hear good things about them.

8. You probably won't get that growl you're looking for in a Carvin. For me, I moved up from an LB75 to the SR5, and the Carvin has been collecting dust ever since.

I don't know much about Ibanez except for trying them in music stores and being less than impressed. For that I stay away.

You know, if you can get an SR5 for $1200, remember it's going to take at least 3 months to be built. You only have to put a deposit on it for starters, giving you a few months to save up the extra couple a hundred bucks. From what you've described, it sounds like just the bass you're looking for. :)

9. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Nope :(

I have the same problem you do. I am just gonna save my money and get a Stingray. :)

10. 87octane_

87octane_ Guest

Jul 18, 2001
    Sumner, IL
    Alright, thanks guys. I think I'm gonna settle on a Stingray 5, the way you guys talk about them.

11. sinisterman

sinisterman

Jul 6, 2001
    How wide is the neck of a Stingray at the nut? I have small hands, and I haven't seen any Stingrays around where I live, so I can't try one.

12. agyeman

agyeman Member

Mar 6, 2001
    Stingray = 1-5/8" at nut, 2-1/2" at last fret

Sterlings = 1-1/2" (4cm) at nut, 2-1/2" (6cm) at last fret

This info was gotten from http://www.ernieball.com/musicman/basses/index.html

13. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    what color is your bass anyway, Stingray5? It must be damn good if you waited 3 months for it...

14. sinisterman

sinisterman

Jul 6, 2001
    Thanks for the info and the link.

15. lo-end

lo-end

Jun 15, 2001
    PA
    nice pic, stingray5. does that jazz bass have strings on it?