1. Please take 30 seconds to register your free account to remove most ads, post topics, make friends, earn reward points at our store, and more!  

Lefty Basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Disc, Nov 10, 2006.

1. so after getting an email from basscentral, I found out fender does not make lefty hwy Ones, OR MIM. This came as a surprise to me, as everyone Ive talked to says that they do make lefties of those models. So that lowers my original choices a whole bunch (I really had my eyes one the hwy :( )

So the question is, who make lefty basses?! That is besides a Squier (which i really dislike). I would rather avoid a cheap guitar in favor of one that will last me a good long while. I can spend up to $800 on it. I really like the P-bass sound and I have heard that their is no other bass that sounds exactly like it.

Also, this would be my first bass, so theirs is always the chance i could start of playing righty. The thing is that when I mess around with friends guitars/bass it feels slightly un-natural playing righty, and feels much better after i flip it around. Because of this i think a left would be better for me.

So, without that bass I am really confused as too what i should do. TBers, use your vast knowledge aad rock skills to help me out! :help:

2. lefty007

lefty007

Jan 19, 2004
    Miami, FL
    First, welcome.

Second, please do a search about lefties. Type in the search engine: left-handed, lefty, etc.

There is a ton of information here ,and I have replied about this same topic about 10 times already.

Third: Fender does make MIM Jazzes in lefty. They are everywhere: Guitar Center, Sam Ash, internet retailers, eBay. I can probably find 50 lefty MIM Fender Jazzes right now.

HWY 1 are not available in lefty.

But better, American Precisions are available in lefty right now, and American Jazz Deluxes are too.

Again, do some reading here and you will find models, and stores where to buy them.

Lastly, if you want any real help, let us know where do you live and what is your budget.

3. Sorry, should have used search, Im just a bit post happy :D . After going through a few threads I could not find an answer to this, did fender ever make a MIM lefty P? Im not a big fan of Jazz's, the shape or the sounds.

I live in San Jose, CA with a budget of 800$ for the bass alone, but lower is always better. Really all i know about is fenders, did not bother researching anything else as the sound was just perfect (on the P). So what other basses would fit this description/price range.

Again, thanks!

4. For that price range, the Japanese-made Fenders are worth considering. I bought an MIJ lefty '62 reissue P-bass this summer and I really like it.

5. Also, as far as music styles go, I listen to a lot of punk rock, and that is most likely the style i would be learning. The Clash, Dead Kennedys, Meat Puppets all have styles i really look up too. Mike Watt of the Minutemen is the reason i want to pick up bass. Dont know if that would change what ya'll would recommend, but its nice to put out there. :)

6. Did not know the Japanese fenders came in lefty, this is great news! Will deffinatly look into that one. :)

Keep the suggestions coming!

7. I don't think so. At least they aren't currently, and I am not sure that I have ever seen one. I think you are stuck getting an MIA if you are going Fender, or maybe MIJ!

Maybe one of the other manufaturers, like Lakland, offers a non American made P style left? Anyone?

Good luck!

8. Human Bass

Human Bass

Aug 26, 2005

Get a Precision. Case solved. :smug:

9. Yeah, thats why Ive been so deadset on a P :smug: . MIJ Precision sounds like the right direction so far.

10. If you haven't found it yet, here's a link to lefty Fender stuff from Guitar Japan. Scroll down for the basses:
    http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/fj_left-hand.html

Ishibashi is the retailer where I got mine. Click on the "translated pages" link -- a bit harder to navigate, but you might get better prices:
    http://www.ishibashi-music.com/

EDIT: there seems to be some question today about whether these retailers will still sell to U.S. customers. You might want to keep an eye on this thread:
    http://www.talkbass.com/forum/showthread.php?t=287500

11. Thanks for the links, hope the rumor isnt true, those look great.

12. just went to guitar center (i know, but its the only place around my house) and tried out the only lefty they had, an ibanez model (was about $350). I didnt really like it all that much. Look like im going to be getting a MIJ P-bass if i dont find a good used lefty P in my search through the city tomorrow.

So, testimonials on the MIJ fender P, tell me what you think!

EDIT: also, what the difference between these two http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_lefthand/pb57-72L.html and http://www.guitarjapan.com/fenderjapan/spec_lefthand/pb70-90us_L.html

Theeres a big price difference, so what makes that price difference and is it worth the extra cash?

13. the body wood is the big difference, the first one you posted has a basswood body, which many people enjoy the sound of more, but you are probably more used to alder, which is what the second one has. Also, everything on here http://www.rondomusic.net/BassLeft.html would probably be great for a first bass, generally a first bass is so that you can decide what you like so you can make a beter purchase for your second, and third, and fourth and all the others

14. That's correct, the second Fender is more expensive because of the wood and because of the USA-made pickups. My MIJ is basswood with Japanese-made pickups -- I've been happy with that, but keep in mind that I'm a fairly new bass convert (was a guitarist for 20 years). Basswood is a bit lighter weight than alder, and you don't see it used nearly as often, but to my ears it seems to be fine as far as tone.

Also note that one has a rosewood fretboard and the other a maple fretboard. Probably doesn't factor into the cost, but you may well have a preference as to which you like better. Try them both in a store, even on a righty bass, just to get a feel for them.

And if you hadn't figured it out yet, the first number after the "PB" refers to the reissue year (i.e. PB70 is a 1970 reissue), and the 2nd number refers to the list price (i.e. the "90" in PB70-90 refers to the list price of $900).

I haven't tried the Rondo SX basses that spudmaster34 mentioned, but that brand has a LOT of fans on this site, which speaks well for it. Would probably be a good inexpensive alternative to a Squier.

15. As of now i cant tell a difference in tone due too wood, so lighter is fine with me, and i can always throw in some new pickups if i feel the need too.

I'm going to Guitar Showcase tomorrow, I heard they had a good selection. Hopefully they'll have one of these so I can check um out.

EDIT: forgot to mention, as for the Rondo SX I wouldn't doubt that its a good bass, but i have heard horror stories on other forums about warped necks, bad pickups, and not being able to return them. I would rather go with a bass that I know for a fact will not give me any trouble.

16. CTW

CTW

Nov 11, 2006
    South Africa
    looking at this thread u r a fender fan, i don't know if you'll look at anything else but try schecter they have awesome leftys, i'm getting the studio 4 looks great and i'm told is sounds great 2.

17. Jules Forcella

Jules Forcella

Aug 28, 2005
    Frankfurt a.M. / Deutschland
    Endorsing Artist: AccuGroove
    Hello,

wanna hear a nice story ???:smug:

I was interessted in a MarcusMiller 5 US - just because the one I've heard had a phat B-String....

The price for a US MM5 here in Germany is about 1999,- Euro....for a right handed Person :smug:
    Fender wanted to have 8500,- (!!!!) Euro for a Lefty Version.... of course Custom Shop ....and no Marcus Miller Sign on Headstock (who cares :D :D :D :D ...)
    I haven't had laughed as that good for a loong time :bassist:

IT'S A SHAME !!!! No Question.... the choice here for a Lefty US Version of a Fender includes just the "Deluxe" Version , and only with Alder Body and Palisander fretboard...... I want my Jazz Bass passiv.....in mintgreen and white Block's ;) and matching Headstock :cool: ....

Oh....I fergot the Standart Version (made in Mexico) for Leftys....

We're in heaven

Ciao, Jules

18. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
  19. DaBassman

DaBassman

Mar 25, 2002
    Oneonta, NY
    and Yamaha

20. Assumer

Assumer

Mar 26, 2003
    Arkansas
    You know G&L makes great basses.(no upcharge for lefty) They make an SB-2 which is a great P Bass. You can find them used for under 800 all the time. I only paid $999 for a brand new one. Check out their website. http://www.glguitars.com/