Dismiss Notice

Psst... Ready to join TalkBass and start posting, make new friends, sell your gear, and more?  Register your free account in 30 seconds.

Lefty Custom Bass - Please Help!!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Marley's Ghost, Sep 24, 2002.

1. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    I am GASsing for a lefty 5 string custom a la Conklin, MTD, etc in the 1000 - 1500 price range. I was hoping to get some advice from other lefty TB'ers who have had custom basses made. The main criteria is that it needs to be good for slap.

It seems the only lefty basses I see around are Fenders and Ric's :(

2. You may not care, but Carvin will also make a lefty bass, and the lefty option is no extra charge!

3. not to be of any offense but you shouldn't go lefty. IMHO, i just dont prefer lefty's but i dont think that a lefty bass should of ever been of existence, iits just one of those things that you should make your right hand stronger

4. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    Well, you shouldn't write with your right hand. Ever. It's a waste of synapses and neurons. You should also never look with your right eye, smell with your left nostril, or use your left leg. Because pitting your left leg first throws off the balances of nature. Also, sicssors should'nt be catered to either. Because making something different so it's more comfortable is just too expensive and too much of a hassle.

Right?

:rolleyes:

5. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    I'd look into FBB www.fbbcustom.com

He makes a KILLER bass, and would do a MASSIVE 5er slap machine for about 1400 (1200 is the base price I believe). You might not dig his asthetics, but he makes an absolutely killer product, to spec.

Dave Pushic is also a popular (though, IMHO not as good, but only because he hasn't been doing it as long). www.dpcustom.com Nice guy too, and can make some mighty fine lookin basses.

I'd vote for FBB, myself. Matt might be making me a fretless 5er in May.

6. I second Dave Pushic. I have a custom 5 he built that is real nice. right in your price range too.

7. JP Basses

JP Basses

Mar 22, 2002
    Paris FRANCE
    My "best customer" is actually left-handed...

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Too bad your are not in France ;)

Well, considering your price range, you have a wide opened choice in the US:
    FBB
    DP
    Carvin
    Warmoth

If I were you, I would check out Darrin's basses @ www.dhuffguitars.com

His work is top notch!

JP

8. Brad Johnson

Brad Johnson Commercial User

Mar 8, 2000
    Gaithersburg, Md
    Boom Bass Cabinets, DR strings
    Check out Crescent Moon, excellent basses in your price range. Craig Muller is located in Baltimore, MD and IMO is doing some very nice work at a very reasonable price.

9. Try for a 2nd Hand Wal. Lefty and fretless no charge. They are heavy but beautifully made and their sound is fantastic.

I sold mine [5string fretted / 5 string fretless] as they were too heavy [bad back] but the sound and looks were the best ever.

Matthew

10. ldiezman

ldiezman

Jul 11, 2001
    Nashville
    Well.. if you've already started as a lefty, one should continue to do so.... I've met many lefty bass players that play better than alot of right handed players I know...

As for getting a custom bass for around $1500, you probably won't be able to get a conklin or an MTD for that price.. maybe you could luck up and find one used..

11. Marley's Ghost

Marley's Ghost Gold Supporting Member

Feb 9, 2002
    Tampa, FL
    Um, nobody's really taking this response seriously are they? :rolleyes: :eek: :confused: I mean, I have been playing lefty bass for 28 years, look at my profile. and has gallienkrueger ever heard of Paul McCartney?
    Anyhoo, thanks for the other advice. I was really hoping for other leftys who have custom basses to weigh in with their opinons. Someone out there must have a lefty custom :)

12. Brendan

Brendan

Jun 18, 2000
    Austin, TX
    IMHO, to any luthier worth their snot, it shouldn't matter right vs. left handed. It should be a great bass, regardless of your dexterity preference.

13. **cough cough ** troll ** cough cough **

14. Well, obviously somebody who has been playing electric bass left handed for 28 years shouldn't even think about switching. I don't think that gallienkrueger is necessarily a troll though. IMO, playing the bass is not like writing or using scissors. You'll notice that violins, violas, 'cellos, and doublebasses are all played the same regardless of being right or left handed. I know a number of good, left handed doublebass players, and it has never been an issue for them. If I were starting out a beginning left handed student on electric bass, I think having them play a "right handed" bass would be a good thing as there is no inherent benefit either way, other than it woul be easier for them to find instruments and transition to the doublebass if they want to.

-Chris