Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by HRC Matt, Oct 2, 2004.

1. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    hard finding used lefties in my town. i already own fender jazz merican lefty, but i just would like to have some diversity and play with a lefty precision. There is one at a local music store. Its a 80's (year i dont quite know) but its when fender had the squier series, not the brand. IT says fender on headstock but in very tiny letters at the end of the headstock says squier. IT's vintage white and has some abuse, i played through it...but if had flatwound stings and i just think those make the bass sound horrible. What do you guys think its worth. he wants $275...but i was thinking about $150-200? sound wise?
  2. Frank Martin

Frank Martin Bitten by the luthiery bug...

Oct 8, 2001
    Budapest, Hungary, EU
    Its hard finding lefties in any town ;) :(

The flatwounds are there to give it a smooth, old-school vintage vibe.
    But if it sounds bad to you, then I'd advise not buying it.
    If a bass sounds bad by itself, even the best p-up wont do miracles.
  3. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    80's Squier is solid and has a good reputation. There was Squire and Squier II. The originals were made in Japan and the II's were made in Korea, I believe. They do not compare with today's Squier stuff, they are much, much better. Most people agree that Fender Japan put out better gear than Fender USA in the 80's. Here's a link for your info:

Try it with roundwound strings. The flats will make it seem dead and muddy if you are not used to hearing them.
  4. HRC Matt

HRC Matt

Aug 31, 2004
    Columbus, Ga
    how much would you give for one...is Okay condition, cosmetic wise...its okay...the sound...and tone...wasnt so bad once i put new string on it at the store.?
  5. waxcomb

Jun 29, 2003
    Martinez, CA
    I'm not the most up to date on prices, you might call around to stores that you know and ask what they would sell it for. You can also check the blue book at a local store. I always ask my local used dealers about fair prices and judge gear by those standards. I have taken years to build those relationships and they are very nice to have. This bass is not something you will see as often as a Mexi or new Squier, so it is hard to compare it to other recent deals. You may check on Ebay and see if there are any on there and how much they are.

Does it have a case? A hard case with it would be a huge plus and would make it a good deal.

I would offer $250 cash, out the door. Maybe it will work or maybe it will be $275 out the door, tax included.

There is one going locally for $375 and it's a righty in nice condition. Lefties are going to be hard to come by and usually go for more.

In the end, is it worth it to you and can you afford it? I would not have reservations about it being a quality piece.
  6. iamthebassman

Feb 24, 2004
    Endorsing Artist: Phantom Guitars, Eastwood Guitars
  7. canopener

Sep 15, 2003
    Isle of Lucy
    Just out of curiosity, what year is your lefty American Jazz?

FWIW, I found an American Hot Rod P (lefty) on eBay for $400 w/gig bag in great condition. So, check it out, there are always left handed P's on eBay.